Consumer Health Librarian of the Year Award
Consumer health librarians focus on the continuum of health information services that benefit patients, caregivers, and individuals interested in optimal health and health care for themselves and their families. Established in 2017, this award recognizes those who demonstrate excellence in consumer health information services, promote innovation and collaboration, and provide examples to follow for other consumer health librarians.
The Consumer Award Jury will review nominations for eligibility and award points based on achievements, leadership, and service.
Consumer health librarian who exemplifies the best in consumer librarianship:
- Demonstrates excellent communication and search skills on consumer health-focused information resources for patrons of all ages.
- Acts as a role model to peers in consumer health librarianship and works to mentor new librarians to the field.
- Contributes to the knowledge base of consumer health librarianship by sharing best practices with peers through presentations, posters, and publications, or teaching.
- Works collaboratively with other medical librarians, administrative staff, co-workers and community leaders to provide accessible consumer health information services.
- Leads by example and is an innovator within the work environment.
- Maintains professional credentials and pursues appropriate continuing education opportunities as a lifelong learner.
- The nominee must be a member of MLA.*
- The nominee must have worked continuously for each of the last 5 years immediately preceding the nomination, and must be working in a health sciences library at the time of the award.
- The nominee should hold a professional library or information science qualification.
- It is preferred that nominees be a member of the Consumer and Patient Health Information Caucus for a minimum of two years.*
- The online nomination must be completed and all supporting documents uploaded no later than October 15.
- Late and incomplete nominations will not be considered.
The nomination must contain at least the following elements:
- a precise description of the nominee’s achievements, leadership, and service to MLA and Consumer and Patient Health Information Caucus;
- a current curriculum vitae or resume;
- any further information which may assist the jury in the evaluation of the nomination and the selection of the recipient; and
- up to three letters of support may be included.
*Nominee's MLA membership history may be confidentially confirmed by contacting MLA Member Services.
The recipient will be notified in March before the annual conference and asked to share a photo and video for the virtual awards ceremony held in April. The recipient receives a cash award of $1000 after the annual conference in June. If there are no appropriate candidates, the association may elect not to present the award in a given year.
Ready to Submit a Nomination?
- The award application process is now closed.
- Applicants and award recipients will be notified in March 2024 with the results.
- The virtual awards ceremony will be held in April 2024.
- Nominations for the 2025 award will open in August 2024.
Past Award Recipients
- 2023: none awarded
- 2022: none awarded
- 2021: Shari Clifton, AHIP
- 2020: Antonio P. DeRosa, AHIP
- 2019: Judy Carol Stribling, AHIP
- 2018: Erica Lake, AHIP
Have a question? Contact MLA