Honors and Awards
- Honorary member (Fellow), 1985
- John P. McGovern Award Lectureship established, 1983
- Awarded honorary degrees from twenty-nine major colleges and universities
- American Society of Addiction Medicine: Fellow, 1998
- Phi Beta Kappa: Outstanding Alumnus Award, 1991
- American Association of Colleges of Nurses: Annual Outstanding Scholarship in Health Care Award 1990
- Kemal Ataturk Gold Medal Distinguished Service Award (Turkey), 1989
- Royal Order of the Polar Star (Sweden), 1988
- L’Ordre National du Merite (France), 1988
- Royal College of Physicians: Honorary Fellow, 1984
- Duke University: Distinguished Alumnus Award, 1976
- American Association for the Advancement of Science: Fellow, 1972
- American College of Physicians: Fellow, 1971
- American Association of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology: Distinguished Fellow, 1971
- American Medical Writers Association: Fellow, 1967
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- President and chief elect officer of fifteen professional medical societies
- Established the McGovern-Davison Children’s Health Center at Duke, 1998
- American Osler Society, president, 1973–1974; principle founder, 1969
- Board of Regents of the National Library of Medicine, chairman, 1973–1974
- Established the John P. McGovern Foundation, 1961
- Established the Texas Allergy Research Foundation, 1961
- Established fellowship program in allergy and immunology at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children’s Hospital, 1957
- Established the McGovern Allergy Clinic, 1956
Publications (5 representative)
- McGovern JP. On humanism in the practice of allergy. Ann Allergy. 1969 Aug;27(8):359–63.
- McGovern JP. Allergy problems in school-aged children. J Sch Health. 1974 May;44(5):260–4.
- McGovern JP, Davison WC. Osler and children. JAMA. 1969 Dec 22;210(12):2241–4.
- McGovern JP, Thomas OC, Steyners FJ, Dukes CD. Bacterial infection in children with respiratory allergy: bacteriologic findings and therapy. South Med J. 1967 May;60(5):473–80.
- McGovern JP, Knight JA. Allergy and human emotions. C.C. Thompson; 1967.
- Professorships at seventeen universities
- Faculty, University of Texas Postgraduate School of Medicine, 1956
- Faculty, George Washington University Medical School
- Faculty, Tulane Medical School
MLA published statements about the honorary member
- Walter PL, ed. Proceedings, Eighty-Fifth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc. New York, New York, May 24–30 1985. Honors and awards. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):84.
- Intern, Yale-New Haven Hospital and McGuire Hospital, Richmond, VA, 1945–1946
- MD, Duke University, 1945
- Bachelor of science, Duke University, 1943
Submitted by Connie Schardt, AHIP, FMLA