Charlie Chaplin has been credited with saying, “A day without laughter is a day wasted.” I live by this quote. So, the adventure I chose focused on finding the “funny” at MLA’19.
Though I may not be quoting perfectly, please know I aimed to capture the spirit of laugh-out-loud lines I heard.
From New Member/First-Time Attendee breakfast Keynote speech, Day 1 – MJ Tooey:
- “Met any plumbers?” One of many suggested questions to ask when initiating conversations during MLA’19.
- “There will be no pushing and shoving. We eliminated the strange initiation rights last year.” On the three-minute “speed-dating” event to meet people.
Noyes award speech, Day 1 Plenary – MJ Tooey:
- “The Noyes award requires an amount of dignity and respect, but why start now?”
- “Oh, a potato chip bowl!” When presented with a silver bowl for the Noyes award.
Presidential address, Day 1 Plenary – Beverly Murphy:
- “Leverage what you know. Realize what you don’t know and fill in the gaps with chocolate.”
Janet Doe Lecture, Day 2 Plenary – Jerry Perry
- “I am Santa in Sequins.” Jerry Perry appearing in a sparkly jacket.
- “I have two David Bowie tattoos which is maybe more information than you want.”