MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Journal of the Medical Library Association Editorial Board, member, 2005–2009
- Task Force on Research Policy Statement Revision, member, 2005–2007
- 2005 National Program Committee, chair, 2003–2005
- Board of Directors, member 1996–1999
- Bylaws Committee, chair, 1995–1996
- Leadership and Management Section: chair, 2002–2003; chair–elect, 2001–2002
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter/MLA (MAC/MLA): chair-elect, 1987–1988; chair, 1988–1989; past chair, 1989–1990; treasurer,1985–1986
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2018
- Mark Hodges International Service Award, 2016
- Public Health/Health Administration Section Research Award for Outstanding Research Paper, 2007
- ISI/Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award, 1998
- University of Massachusetts School of Medicine, Chancellor’s Award for Contribution to the Mission, 2014
- University of Massachusetts Graduate School of Nursing, Dean’s Outstanding Contribution to Graduate Nursing Award, 2009
- University of Massachusetts, President’s Award for Public Service, 2006
- National Library of Medicine/Marine Biological Laboratory, Medical Informatics Seminar Fellowship, 1995
Publications (5 representative)
- Martin ER. The role of librarians in data science: a call to action. J eScience Librariansh 2015;4(2);1–4.
- LaPelle NR, Dahlen K, Gabella BA, Juhl AL, Martin E. Overcoming inertia: increasing public health departments’ access to evidence-based information and promoting usage to inform practice. Am J Public Health 2014 Jan;104(1):77–80.
- Fama J, Martin ER. One model for creating a career ladder for library support staff. J Acad Librariansh 2009; 35(5):475–81.
- Lipscomb CE, Martin ER, Peay WJ. Building the next generation of leaders: the NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program. J Libr Adm. 2009;49(8):847–67.
- Harger NE, Martin ER. The CATCH project: Central Mass access to child health information. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Jul;95(3):337–9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.95.3.337.
- Director and Chief Executive Officer, Countway Library, Harvard University Medical School, Boston, MA, 2016–present
- Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, New England Region, 2001–2016
- Director, Lamar Soutter Medical Library, University of Massachusetts Medical School–Worcester, 1998–2016
- Assistant University Librarian and Director, National Network of Libraries of Medicine/National Library of Medicine, Greater Midwest Region, Library of the Health Sciences, University of Illinois–Chicago, 1993–1998
- Associate Director, Education, Clinical and Research Services, Health Sciences Library and Information Center, University of Washington–Seattle, 1990–1993
- User Education Librarian; Assistant Head of Reference/User Education Librarian; Chief, Facilities/Instructional Media Systems; Assistant Director, Information and Instructional Services, Paul Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1983–1990
- Assistant Reference Librarian, Claude Moore Health Sciences Library, University of Virginia Medical Center–Charlottesville, 1981–1982
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Berlanstein D. Elaine Martin: MLA ’18 Janet Doe lecturer. MLA News [Internet]. 15 Feb 2018 [cited 8 Jul 2018].
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship: Elaine Martin, MLA Fellowship. MLA News [Internet]. 16 Jul 2018 [cited 28 Sep 2018].
- DA, Simmons College, Boston, MA, 2005
- MSLS, Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, 1981
- MA, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1976
- BA, Boston University, Boston, MA, 1975
Contributed by Elaine R. Martin