MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Eugene Garfield Research Fellowship Jury, chair, 2014–2015
- Nominating Committee, 2002–2003
- History of the Health Sciences Section: Continuing Education Committee: cochair, 2006–2012; chair elect, chair, immediate past chair, 2001–2009; Section Council: representative/representative elect, 2007–2009; Continuing Education Committee: chair, 1996–2001; Bylaws Committee: chair, 1995–2001; webmaster, 1998–2014; Programming Committee: cochair, 1995–1996
- New York-New Jersey Chapter of MLA: Membership Committee: cochair, 2008–present; parliamentarian, 2007–2008; chair elect, chair, immediate past chair, 2004–2007; Board of Directors: member, 2002–2004; Chapter Council: webmaster, 2001–2003; Chapter Council: representative, 1998–2001, alternate representative, 1996–1998; Programming Committee: chair, 2001–2002; Web Committee: cochair, 1998–2001; Recruitment Committee: chair 1997–1998; Ad Hoc Web Page Committee: cochair, 1997–1999; Centennial Ad Hoc Committee: chair, 1997–1998, member, 1996–1998; Nominating Committee: chair 1992–1993; Computer Users Special Interest Group: cochair 1991–1998
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2018
- New York-New Jersey Chapter of MLA, Special Award for Service, 2012, 1997, 1995
- MLA Chapter Project of the Year Award, 2008
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1994–present; member, 1989–1994
- New York Academy of Medicine, Fellow, 2010
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- New York Online Access to Health (NOAH): managing editor, 1999–2013; Content Committee: chair, 1999–2008
- Archivists and Librarians in the History of the Health Sciences: Programming Committee: cochair, 2011–2012, chair, 2008–2009; Nominating Committee: chair, 2009–2010; secretary–treasurer, 2005–2007; Executive Board: member, 2002–2004; Bylaws Committee: chair, 2000–2012
- New York Academy of Medicine: Library Strategic Planning Committee: member, 2008–2009; Cross-Departmental Committee on Aging: member, 2008–2009; Library Public Services Committee: chair, 2007–2008; Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group of the American College of Physicians New York Chapter: representative, 2000–2003; METRO Consumer Health Special Interest Group: representative, 1996–2008
- Journal of Consumer Health on the Internet: Review Committee: member, 2005–2012
- Annals of Emergency Medicine: Evidence-Based Emergency Medicine Section: reviewer, 2006–2012
Publications (5 representative)
- Greenberg SJ, Gallagher PE. The great contribution: Index Medicus, Index-Catalogue, and IndexCat. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Apr;97(2):108–13. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.2.007.
- Medicine is a man’s game?: women physicians in the movies. Invited paper presented at: College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Philadelphia PA, 19 Mar 2015; National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 13 Mar 2014; Columbia University, Long Health Sciences Library, New York, NY, 16 Feb 2012; University of Alabama–Birmingham Historical Collections, 10 Nov 2011; Clendening History Library and Museum, Kansas City, KS, 8 Oct 2009. https://youtu.be/LBoJXRW2Y-c.
- Gallagher PE, Greenberg SJ. Health sciences librarianship in rare book and special collections. In: Woods MS, ed. Introduction to health sciences librarianship. New York, NY: Haworth, 2007.
- Gallagher PE, Allen TY, Wyer PC. How to find evidence when you need it. part 2: a clinician’s guide to MEDLINE: the basics. Ann Emerg Med 2002 Apr;39(4):436–40.
- Gallagher PE, Allen TY, Wyer PC. How to find evidence when you need it. part 3: a clinician’s guide to MEDLINE: tricks and special skills. Ann Emerg Med 2002 May;39(5):547–51.
- Alpi K, Fisher J, Gallagher P. New York Online Access to Health (NOAH): New York libraries partner to provide quality consumer health information in English and Spanish. In: Kuharets IA, Cahalan BA, Gitner FJ, eds. Bridging cultures: ethnic services in the libraries of New York State. Albany, NY: New York Library Association; 2001.
- Librarian, National Information Center on Health Services Research and Health Care Technology (NICHSR), National Library of Medicine, 2012–present
- Senior Reference/User Services Librarian, 2009–2012; Rotating Acting Head, 2009–2012; Public Services, 2007–2008; Special Projects Coordinator, 1997–2007; Information Specialist, 1995–1997; New York Academy of Medicine (NYAM), New York, NY
- Assistant Director of Library Services, 1993–1995; Acting Director, 1993–1995; Services, 1993–1993; Senior Librarian, 1991–1993; Librarian, 1987–1991; Seymour Phillips Library, Beth Israel Medical Center, New York, NY
- Librarian, 1982–1987; Assistant Librarian, 1978–1982; Helene Fuld School of Nursing, New York, NY
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA Fellowship: Patricia Gallagher. MLA News [Internet]. 16 Jul 2018 [cited 28 Sep 2018].
- Master of arts, English literature, Hunter College, City University of New York, 1989
- Master of library science, Queens College, City University of New York, 1977
- Bachelor of arts, Lehman College, City University of New York, 1976