MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA InSight Initiative Task Force, chair, 2016–present
- Nominating Committee, member, 2015–2016; member, 2007–2008
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, chair, 2015–2016; member, 2014–2015
- President-elect, president, past president 2010–2013
- 2010 National Program Committee, member, 2008–2010
- Task Force to Review the MLA Research Statement, member, 2005–2007
- Board of Directors, member, 2002–2005
- Journal of the Medical Library Association Editorial Board, member, 2001–2004
- MLANET Editorial Board, Section Council liaison, 1999–2001
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Health Science Libarians Special Interest Group (SIG): founding co-convener, 1993–1994; cochair, 1994–1995; program chair, 1998–1999
- Relevant Issues Section: chair, 1998–1999
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2019
- Fellow, 2018
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP), Distinguished Member, 2011–2016
- University of Colorado Denver, Commitment to Diversity Award for Faculty (Health Sciences), 2006, 2005
- University of Colorado System University Leadership Development Institute, Office of the President, Emerging Leaders Program, 2005–2006
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Leadership Fellow Program, inaugural fellow, 2002–2003
- University of Arizona, Continuing Status (tenure), Librarian Rank, 2001
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL)
- Board of Directors, member at large, 2016–present; Board of Directors Finance Committee, member, 2016–present
- Joint MLA/AAHSL Legislative Task Force, member, 2012–2016
- AAHSL/NLM Leadership Fellows Program, mentor, 2013–2014; Future Leadership Committee, member, 2009–2012; Education Research Task Force, member, 2008–2011
- National Library of Medicine under the sponsorship of University of Michigan Learning Health Systems. Governance Committee (Planning Committee), Mobilizing Computable Biomedical Knowledge Meeting, 2017–present
- Downtown Aurora Visual Arts (DAVA), Board, member, 2014–2015
- University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus College of Medicine, Arts and Humanities in Healthcare Program, Board of Directors, member, 2013–2015; Community-Campus Partnership Steering Committee, member, 2013–2015
- Colorado Alliance of Research Libraries (CARL), Member Council, chair-elect, 2014–2015; chair, 2010–2011
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Regional Advisory Board, member 2009
- Wingspan, Tucson’s LGBT Community Center, Board of Directors, member, 1997–2000
Publications (5 representative)
- Perry GJ. Health librarianship: management and administration. In: Huber JT, Tu-Keefner F, eds. Health librarianship: an introduction. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited; 2014. p. 87–103.
- Blanco MA, Capello CF, Dorsch JL, Perry GJ, Zanetti ML. A survey study of evidence-based medicine training in US and Canadian medical schools. J Med Libr Assoc. 2014 Jul;102(3):160–8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.102.3.005.
- Perry GJ. Viva Ia evolution! specialized adaptation and the Medical Library Association’s ongoing commitment to the teaching and learning roles of health sciences librarians. J Med Libr Assoc. 2013 Jan;101(1):1–3. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.101.1.001.
- Dorsch JL, Perry GJ. Evidence-based health care at the intersection of research interests between health sciences librarians and medical educators: a review of the literature. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Oct;100(4):251–7. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.4.006.
- Perry GJ, Roderer NK, Assar S. A current perspective on medical informatics and health sciences librarianship. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Apr;93(2):199–205. [cited 11 Oct 2018].
- Associate Dean and Director, University of Arizona Health Sciences Library, University of Arizona–Tucson, 2015–present
- Director, 2007–2015; Interim Director, 2006–2007; Deputy Director, 2003–2006, Health Sciences Library (formerly, Denison Memorial Library), University of Colorado–Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
- Head of Information Services, Arizona Health Sciences Library, University of Arizona, 1997–2003
- Faculty Instructor, University of Arizona College of Medicine Faculty Development Program, 1994–1997
- Reference Manager/Collection Development Specialist, 1990–1997; Reference Manager, 1989–1990; Reference Librarian and User Education Coordinator, 1987–1989; Library of Rush University Medical Center, Rush University, Chicago, IL
- Assistant Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor, Library of the Health Sciences, University of Illinois–Chicago, 1986–1987
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship: Gerald J. Perry, MLA Fellowship. MLA News [Internet]. 16 Jul 2018 [cited 11 Oct 2018].
- Traditi LK. Gerald J. Perry, AHIP, Medical Library Association, 2011–2012 [president’s page]. J Med Libr Assoc. 2011 Jul;99(3):185–8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.99.3.003.
- MLS, State University of New York–Buffalo, 1986
- BA, Syracuse University, 1979
Contributed by Jean P. Shipman