Public Librarians, remember when you registered for the Health Information for Public Librarians Symposium and how excited you were to have this opportunity? Now, the wait is over. In just a couple of days, you will be in Atlanta attending this event. But . . . have you prepared?
Follow these ten steps to ensure that you will not only enjoy the Symposium but also get vital information to take back to your library.
- Reread the learning objectives and description of the Symposium.
- Write down the specific goals and objectives you want to achieve.
- Familiarize yourself with the Symposium schedule and choose the sessions you want to attend.
- Write down your questions and discussion topics of interest to you.
- Prepare a 20 second introduction for the speed-networking event during the Welcome Breakfast.
- Bring business cards to exchange with other attendees and speakers.
- Bring pen and paper for taking notes.
- Feel free to bring your smartphone or tablet, but don’t get distracted with those never-ending texts!
- Read Getting the Most Out of the Health Information for Public Librarians Symposium.
- Remember to have fun!
This Symposium was designed especially for you, so please take this opportunity to meet new professional colleagues, learn about providing health information, and exchange ideas. Then, when you return home, you will have the connections and confidence to implement and improve health information services in your library.