MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, 2012–2013
- Board of Directors, member, 2008–2011 and 2011–2014
- Treasurer, 2009–2011
- 2008 National Program Committee, chair, 2005–2008
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, mentor, 2000–
- Leadership and Management Section: Task Force on Professional Development for Current and Aspiring Middle Managers, chair, 2004–2006, chair, 2004–2005
- Majors/MLA Chapter Project of the Year Jury, chair, 2003–2004
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, member, 1996–1999; senior associate editor, 1994–1996
- Midwest Chapter: credentialing liaison, 2016–2018; 2002 Annual Meeting, Local Arrangements Committee, cochair; Academy of Health Information Professionals counselor, 2000–2006
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2017
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1998–present
- Other Awards
- University of Michigan, University Librarian Achievement Award, 2015
- Journal of the European Association for Health Information and Libraries (EAHIL), Best Article, 2014
Other Accomplishments & Activities (selected)
- National Library of Medicine (NLM): Board of Regents, member, 2016–2020; Special Emphasis Panel for the Review of Internet Access to Digital Libraries (IADL) G07 and Information Systems G08 Grant Applications, member, 2004–2005
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL): president-elect, 2016–2017; NLM/AAHSL Leadership Fellows Program, mentor, 2014–2015 and 2005–2006; Joint MLA/AAHSL Legislative Task Force, chair, 2010–2011; Board of Directors, member, 2002–2005
- American Diabetes Association: Publishing Technology and Innovation Advisory Board, member, 2016–present; Publication Policy Committee, chair, 2010–2011; member, 2006–2011
- New England Journal of Medicine: Library Advisory Board, member, 2014–2018
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Council of Faculty and Academic Societies: AAHSL representative, 2013–2018
- National Network of Libraries of Medicine: Greater Midwest Regional Advisory Council, member, 2011–2016; Southeastern/Atlantic Regional Advisory Council, member, 2001–2006
- Harvard–Macy Institute for Leaders in Medical Education, 2003
- Georgetown University, Professional Manager’s Certificate, 2003
- Frye Leadership Institute, 2002
- National Center for Education in Maternal and Child Health Library Expert Panel, member, 2003–2006
- Wilson Information Services, National Cancer Institute at Frederick (NCIFCRF) Scientific Library Advisory Board, member, 2002–2008
Publications (5 representative)
- Blumenthal J. The library of the future is present. J Eur Assoc Health Inf Libr. 2014;10(4):3–5.
- Allee NJ, Blumenthal J, Jordan K, Lalla N, Lauseng D, Rana G, Saylor K, Song J. One institution’s experience in transforming the health sciences library of the future. Med Ref Serv Q. 2014;33(1):1–16. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02763869.2014.866444.
- Blumenthal J. Creating the future [editorial]. J Med Libr Assoc. 2014 Jan;102(1):2–4. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.102.1.002.
- Saylor K, Schnitzer AE, Allee N, Blumenthal J. A transformational outreach program for an academic health sciences library. C&RL News. 2011 Feb;72(2):86–9.
- Blumenthal J, Murthy V, Martinez I, Silver L. Position descriptions in health sciences libraries. MLA DocKit #15. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 2006.
- Associate University Librarian and Director, Taubman Health Sciences Library, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, 2012–present
- Director, Taubman Health Sciences Library, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, 2006–present
- Assistant Dean for Knowledge Management, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, 2000–2006
- Director, Dahlgren Memorial Library, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, 1996–2006
- Associate Director, Dahlgren Memorial Library, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, 1995–1996
- Assistant Director, Dahlgren Memorial Library, Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC, 1990–1995
- Library Director, American Medical Association, Washington, DC, 1985–1990
- Assistant Manager, Scientific Library, National Cancer Institute–Frederick Cancer Research Facility, Frederick, MD, 1984–1985
- Technical Services Librarian, Scientific Library, National Cancer Institute–Frederick Cancer Research Facility, Frederick, MD, 1982–1984
- Cataloger, Scientific Library, National Cancer Institute–Frederick Cancer Research Facility, Frederick, MD, 1980–1982
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship: MLA Fellowship, Jane Blumenthal. MLA News. 2017 Jun 30 [cited 12 Oct 2017].
- Allee N. Jane Blumenthal, AHIP, Medical Library Association president, 2012–2013. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Jul;100(3):161–5. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.3.004.
- Blumenthal J. MLA presidential address: Jane Blumenthal, AHIP (plenary session 1). In: Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 113th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Boston, MA, May 3–8, 2013. J Med Libr Assoc. 2014 Jan;102(1):E4–E5. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.102.1.E1.
- Blumenthal J. Inaugural address. In: Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 112th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, WA, May 18–23, 2012. J Med Libr Assoc. 2013 Jan; 101(1):E12–E14. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.101.1.E1.
- MSLS, library science, Catholic University of America, Washington, DC, 1980
- BA, religion, College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, VA, 1976
Contributed by Jean P. Shipman