Honors and Awards
- Honorary member (Fellow), 1978
- Dean’s Medal, Tufts University School of Medicine, 2009
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Developed the MD/MBA program, a three-way partnership between Tufts, the Brandeis Heller School, and Northeastern University’s school of management
- Developed the health communication program, a joint venture between Tufts and Emerson College
- Developed the MD/MA Combined Program with Tufts and the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- Developed the 8-year BS in Engineering, MS in Engineering, and a MD Combined Program for Producing Expert Physicians in Biomedical Engineering
Publications (5 representative)
- Stearns NS, Bloomquist H, Ratcliff WW. The hospital library. I. Hospitals. 1970 Mar 1;44(5):55-9.
- Stearns NS, Bloomquist H, Ratcliff WW. The hospital library. 2. Hospitals. 1970 Mar 16;44(6):88-90.
- Stearns NS, Ratcliff WW. An integrated health-science core library for physicians, nurses and allied health practitioners in community hospitals. N Engl J Med. 1970 Dec 31;283(27):1489-98.
- Bloomquist H, Rees A, Stearns NS, and Yast H. Library Practice in Hospitals: A Basic Guide. The Press of Case Western Reserve, Cleveland, 1972.
- Gold RA, Fink WR, Stearns NS, Bloomquist H. The health information specialist: a new resource for hospital library services and education programs. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1974 Jul;62(3):266-72. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC198793/ [cited 7/6/2021]
- Tufts University School of Medicine, Director of Clinical Affairs, 1991–2010
- Director, Tufts Medical School MD/MBA in Health Management Program, 1991-2010
- Schering–Plough Professorship in Health Sciences, 1998–2002
- Professor of Medicine, 1978–2010
- Dean of Postgraduate Education and Alumni Affairs, 1984–1987
- Sara Murray Jordan Professorship in Medicine, 1972–1987
- Executive Director of the Postgraduate Medical Institute, Massachusetts Medical Society, 1961–1971
- Director and Chief of Medicine, Boston City Hospital, 1971–1973
- Director of Medical Education, Newton-Wellesley Hospital, 1956-1972
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Honorary Membership in MLA conferred. Proceedings, Seventy-eighth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Chicago, Illinois June 10-15, 1978, Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1979 Jan; 67(1): 82-184. [cited 5/28/2020] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC226899/
- Master’s in pharmacology, Boston University, 1950
- MD, Boston University, 1947
- BA Biology, Harvard College, 1943