The Research Training Institute Online (RTI Online) learning program is a unique and highly effective immersive training program in advanced research methods. RTI ’20 and RTI ’21 have adapted the program to an online environment and expanded the training with new faculty experts and new research topics. The intention of the reimagined RTI Online is to broaden the nationwide pool of health sciences librarians who have a deep understanding of research methodologies by offering a more convenient format, lower costs, and additional scholarships for participants.
The deadline for RTI ’21 applications has been extended until January 10, 2021.
If you are interested but not convinced, here are some compelling reasons to consider applying.
MLA’s RTI Online:
- moves the successful RTI program online for greater access and flexibility to allow participation from a wider range of library staff, including those who may not be able to attend courses away from the workplace and those who are located in various regions and chapters across the county;
- reduces the cost of tuition to encourage applicants with limited budgets and from small, rural, and low socioeconomic regions around the country;
- offers more Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) and Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) scholarships for librarians with little money for education to attend the institute; our goal is to secure an increased number of scholarship donations to fund full scholarships for all accepted applicants;
- offers non-MLA applicants cost-effective MLA membership options and benefits in order to apply and receive RTI scholarship opportunities;
- is committed to fostering diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in professional practice and research by offering focused scholarships for research projects that explore DEI in health library services;
- features a new team of peer coaches who will support mentored small group discussions, individual sessions, and the RTI Community of Practice forums by sharing their experiences and offering encouragement to participants in the RTI program;
- features a team of faculty experts in cutting-edge research and education;
- equips participants with the knowledge, expertise, and confidence to take their research skills to the next level; and
- helps librarians move from hunches to a research topic and then to a quality research study.
Read what past and current RTI Fellows have tweeted about their experience and the benefits of participating in RTI training.
“RTI modules used engaging and experienced instructors who presented the information conveniently online! I am ready to start researching, confidently!”
“I had an amazing research idea that I knew would be valuable to hospital librarians like me, but I have no idea how to do it. The faculty and mentors at RTI exceeded my expectations!”
“I wanted to gain knowledge...in the research process to allow myself more opportunities to better connect with the student researchers, MDs, and PhDs at my institution.”
“I had a research idea but no idea how to get from idea to execution. I just published my paper!”
“I needed to learn more about how to do research for my own scholarship, but also to better help my patrons with their scholarship.”
Resources to learn more RTI Online ’21 include: