MLA ’20 will be held May 15-19 in Portland, Oregon. Here are a few reasons, besides attending the conference, that you might want to visit Portland!
Fun facts about Portland and Oregon:
- Portland has many nicknames including Stumptown, Rip City, Bridgetown and PDX. Portland’s official nickname is The City of Roses.
- The Portland Aerial Tram is one of only two commuter aerial tramways in the United States.
- Thanks to the Beach Bill, all 363 miles of Oregon coastline are open to the public
- PDX has been named the top domestic airport for seven straight years. Portland International Airport is also known for its iconic (former) carpet.
- Oregon’s state flag is the only one in the United States with designs on both sides.
Portland and the surrounding area offer a diverse array of things to do, see, eat and drink.
- Washington Park is easily accessible by TriMet MAX light rail. The Washington Park MAX station is the deepest transit tunnel in the United States at 259 ft!
- Spending an extra day or two? Head to the spectacular Oregon Coast.
- Visit Powell’s City of Books, one of the largest independent bookstores in the world.
- While the city is well-known known for coffee, beer, and food carts, it is also a hotspot for tea, cider, and chocolate.