Books mentioned by presenters, speakers, and on Twitter
The following books were mentioned by presenters, speakers, and on Twitter during MLA ’18 in Atlanta, GA. OCLC WorldCat links, unless otherwise noted, are provided for more information about the books. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this list.
- Algorithms of Oppression: How Search Engines Reinforce Racism, Safiya Umoja Noble, ISBN: 9781479837243
- At War With Yourself: A Comic about Post-Traumatic Stress and the Military, Samuel Williams, ISBN: 9781848192959
- Automating Inequality How High-Tech Tools Profile, Police, and Punish the Poor, Virginia Eubanks, ISBN: 9781250074317
- The Bad Doctor: The Troubled Life and Times of Dr. Iwan James, Ian Williams, ISBN: 9780271067544
- Blind Spot: Hidden Biases of Good People, Mahzarin R. Banaji, Anthony G. Greenwald, ISBN: 9780345528438
- Cartooning Philosophy and Practice, Ivan Brunetti, ISBN: 9780300170993
- Contemporary Black Biography: Volume 1 (volume 1 of series), Michael La Blanc, ISBN: 9780810355460
- The Creed of a Librarian: No Politics, No Religion, No Morals, D J Foskett, ISBN: 9780853652120
- Daylily Called It a Dangerous Moment, Alessandra Lynch, ISBN: 9781938584657
- Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World, Cal Newport, ISBN: 9781455586677
- Delayed Response: The Art of Waiting from the Ancient to the Instant World, Jason Farman, ISBN: 9780300225679
- The Future of the Book, Geoffrey Nunberg, Umberto Eco, ISBN: 9780520204515
- The Fuzzy and the Techie: Why the Liberal Arts Will Rule the Digital World, Scott Hartley, ISBN: 9781328915405
- Hamlet’s Blackberry: A Practical Philosophy for Building a Good Life in the Digital Age, William Powers, ISBN: 9781921640780
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, Rebecca Skloot, ISBN: 9780330533447
- The Last Librarian, Brandt Legg, ISBN: 9781935070122
- Library: An Unquiet History, Matthew Battles, ISBN: 9780393351453
- Love Is Love: A Comic Book Anthology to Benefit the Survivors of the Orlando Pulse Shooting, Marc Andreyko, Sarah Gaydos, Jamie S. Rich, ISBN: 9781631409394
- Love, Robot, Margaret Rhee, Lynne DeSilva-Johnson, ISBN: 9781946031129
- The Machine in the Garden: Technology and the Pastoral Ideal in America, Leo Marx, ISBN: 9780195007381
- The Magic Mountain, Thomas Mann, H T Lowe-Porter, ISBN 9780679600411
- Make It Stick: The Science of Successful Learning, Peter C. Brown, ISBN: 9780674986572
- Mindful Tech: How to Bring Balance to Our Digital Lives, David M. Levy, ISBN: 9780300227017
- Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions and Hurtful Acts, Carol Tavris, Elliott Aronson, ISBN: 9781780662657
- Mom’s Cancer, Brian Fies, ISBN: 9780810971073
- Moral Letters (https://archive.org/details/morallettersvol1_1501_librivox), Lucius Annaeus Seneca,
- Nothing Is Okay, Rachel Wiley, ISBN: 9781943735303
- Our Enduring Values: Librarianship in an Ever Changing World, Michael Gorman, ISBN: 9780838907856
- Pain Woman Takes Your Keys, and Other Essays From a Nervous System, Sonya Huber, ISBN: 9780803299917
- Pedagogy of the Oppressed, Paulo Freire; Myra Bergman Ramos, Donaldo P. Macedo , IBBN 9780826412768
- Reclaiming Conversation: The Power of Talk in the Digital Age, Sherry Turkle, ISBN: 9780143109792
- The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains, Nicholas G. Carr, ISBN: 9780393339758
- Slow Medicine: Way to Healing, Victoria Sweet, ISBN: 9780399573316
- Syllabus: Notes from an Accidental Professor, Lynda Barry, ISBN: 9781770461611
- Understanding Comics, Scott McCloud, ISBN: 9781563895579
- Why We Revolt: A Patient Revolution for Careful and Kind Care, Victor M. Montori, ISBN: 9780999394816
- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig, ISBN: 9780060839871
Links are provided for accessing the articles.
- Developing a theory of gamifed learning. Simul Gaming. Landers RN. 2014 Dec;45(6):752–68.
- An introduction to gamification: adding game elements for engagement. Brigham T. Med Ref Serv Q. 2015;34(4):471–80.
- Not at your service: building genuine faculty librarian partnerships. Meulemans YN, Carr A. Ref Serv Rev. 2013;41(1):80–90.
- The quest for diversity in library staffing: from awareness to action. Vinopal J. In the Library with a Lead Pipe. 13 Jan 2016.
- Reintroducing printed books to the Cushing Academy Library. Melchior M. Mass School Library Assoc Forum Newsl. 15 Oct 2016.
- Using games to make formative assessment fun the academic library. Snyder Broussard MJ. J Acad Librariansh. 2014 Jan;40(1):35–42.
- The value of no. Epstein S. Public Libr Online. 31 Jul 2017.
Other resources mentioned
Links are provided for accessing the resources.
- The future of public health. Smedley BD, Stith AY, Nelson AR, eds. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 1988.
- Health Sciences Librarian Research Guide. Medical Library Association
- Institute for Healthcare Advancement
- Journal of eScience Librarianship
- Love Me Love My Belly
- MLA Oral Histories. Medical Library Association
- The Moral Roots of Liberals and Conservatives. Haidt J. Ted Talk.
- Opiate Addiction and Treatment (Enviro-Health Links). National Library of Medicine
- A Platform for Biomedical Discovery and Data-Powered Health: National Library of Medicine Strategic Plan 2017–2027. National Library of Medicine
- Poem—I Have Only Just A Minute Dr. Benjamin Mays, Rambling Lisa’s Book Review
- Poetry Magazine. Poetry Foundation
- Queers with Disabilities: An Annotated Bibliography. American Library Association
- Retraction Watch
- Smoking and Health: Report of the Advisory Committee to the Surgeon General of the Public Health Service. Public Health Service, US Department of Health, Education and Welfare. The Department; 1964
- Snow City Arts: Portfolio
- U.S. Public Health Service Syphilis Study at Tuskegee: The Tuskegee Timeline, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Unequal Treatment: Confronting Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press; 2003.
Coming soon: MLA book on diversity.