Honors and Awards
- Honorary Member, 2009
- President’s Award, 2005
- Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award, established, 2008
- American Society of Association Executives (ASAE), Certified Association Executive (CAE, Ret.), 2001–2016, retired CAE status 2017
- Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing Information and Library Science, Distinguished Alumni Award, 2016
- Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals (CILIP) (UK), Honorary Fellow, 2008
- American Society for Association Executives (ASAE), Sharon Perry Award Scholarship for Outstanding Leadership, 2002
- Appeared in various editions of: Who’s Who in America, Who’s Who in the Midwest, Who’s Who of American Women, Who’s Who in Medicine and Healthcare, Who’s Who in the World
- Beta Phi Mu, elected, 1973
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Friends of the National Library of Medicine Board of Directors, member, 2009–present
- Dominican University Graduate School of Library and Information Science Advisory Board, member, 2005–present
- The Cliff Dwellers, Chicago, IL, Library/Website Committee, Board: member and chair, 2016–2019
- University of Chicago–Chicago Women’s Alliance, national president, 2014–2018
- P.E.O. Chapter CQ, Chicago, IL, president, 2015–2017
- Openlands, certified treekeeper, 2015
- Helped establish and obtain funding for MLA’s Librarians Without Borders™ program, 2006
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA) 2016 World Library and Information Congress, National Committee: member, 2014
- Lincoln Park Conservancy, Chicago, IL, North Pond Volunteer of the Year, 2014
- San Jose State University School of Information and Library Science Center for Information Research and Innovation Advisory Board, member, 2012–2014
- CILIP (UK) Governance Review Task Force, consultant, 2006
- IFLA 2001 Conference and Exhibition, treasurer, 1997–2002
Publications (5 representative)
- Thibodeau PL, Funk CJ. Trends in hospital librarianship and hospital library services: 1989 to 2006. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):273–9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.011.
- Holst R, Funk CJ, Adams HS, Bandy M, Boss CM, Hill B, Joseph CB, Lett RK. Vital pathways for hospital librarians: present and future roles. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):282–92. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.013.
- Shipman JP, Kurtz-Rossi S, Funk CJ. The health information literacy research project. J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):283–301. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.014.
- Thibodeau P, Funk CJ. U.S. medical libraries and open access. J Eur Assoc Health Inf Libr. 2005 Nov;1(4):17–20.
- Holst R, Funk CJ. State of the art of expert searching: results of a Medical Library Association survey. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Jan;93(1):45–52. [cited 22 Apr 2018]. PMID:15685274; PMCID: PMC545121.
- Executive Director, Medical Library Association, 1992–2015
- Executive Director, International Association of School Librarianship, 2011–2014
- Director, Medical Student Services, 1989–1992; Director, Special Projects, 1987–1989; Director, Information Automation and Technical Services, 1983–1987; American Medical Association
- Consultant, Suburban Library System, 1980–1983
MLA published statements about the honorary member
- Medical Library Association. Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award [Internet]. The Association [cited 22 Apr 2018]. <http://www.mlanet.org/p/cm/ld/%20fid=247>.
- Holst R, interviewer. MLA oral histories: Carla J. Funk [Internet]. Medical Library Association [cited 22 Apr 2018]. <http://www.mlanet.org/blog/funk-carla-j>.
- MBA, Graduate School of Business, University of Chicago, 1985
- MLS, Graduate School of Library Science, Indiana University, 1973
- Bachelor of arts, psychology, Northwestern University, 1968
Contributed by Jean P. Shipman