The William E. Laupus Health Sciences Library (Laupus Library) serves as the primary information resource center for the University’s instructional, research, and patient care programs in the health sciences. It also serves as the comprehensive
information resource center for health care professionals who practice in northeastern North Carolina. In addition, the Laupus Library serves as a secondary resource for nontechnical health care information for health care consumers in the local community. The Laupus Library emphasizes proactive information provision including the acquisition of current and relevant materials, reference services that recognize the existence of diverse levels of client expertise and needs, and the implementation of new technologies for accessing and managing information.
The Research Data Specialist is a 12-month, full-time faculty position in the Laupus Health Sciences Library of East Carolina University.
The Research Data Specialist is responsible for providing education, support, and expertise to faculty, students, and researchers engaged in data management planning, data acquisition, data sharing, and long-term data stewardship. This position emphasizes collaboration with faculty, students, and researchers in the Division of Health Sciences by supporting data practices and literacies. This position will coordinate data education, curation, and consultation activities. The Research Data Specialist will draw on a broad knowledge of research data management and stewardship, communicate clearly and effectively with researchers and colleagues, and monitor and creatively respond to emerging researcher data needs. Through consults, training, advocacy, and collaborative initiatives, the Research Data Specialist supports data practices across many phases of research and learning. The position reports to the Research Librarian. Minimum salary is $56,000, and initial appointment is a one (1) year fixed-term contract; subsequent renewal may be for a multi-year fixed-term contract. ECU offers an excellent benefits package.
Position Responsibilities & Qualifications
- Background or experience indicating an ability to become proficient with quantitative or qualitative research tools such as R, SAS and SPSS.
- Experience with data visualization tools or the aptitude and interest in learning such tools·
- Experience with or the aptitude and interest in learning programming languages
- Experience with or the aptitude and interest in learning tools such as Tableau, D3.js, R, and/or Python
- Previous professional work experience within health sciences libraries
- Knowledge of the biomedical research data management landscape
- Knowledge of biomedical information resources, data management, and traditional and alternative research impact measurement tools
- Familiarity with foundational concepts of metadata, data formats, and systems for managing and sharing research data
- Experience providing instruction in an academic setting
- Awareness of scholarly communication issues within the health sciences
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with emerging and established technologies, including mobile devices
- Strong service orientation
Salary Information: $56,000-$63,000
In order to be considered for this position, applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system and submit any requested documents. For more information visit: https://ecu.peopleadmin.com/postings/57619.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. ECU participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.