You are here
MLA Planning and Budget Process: Committees
Pleae use the planning and budget request materials for the 2015 fiscal year (January 1–December 31).
In developing your planning grid, consider both MLA's strategic plan and MLA presidential priorities for 2014/2015. The MLA President and Board of Directors identify priorities as areas within the strategic plan that should be emphasized in the coming budget year.
- View the MLA strategic plan on MLANET.
- Read the 2014/2015 priorities in the April issue of the MLA News.
Please attach copies of your planning grid and budget request form in an email to Susan Chesniak at MLA Headquarters AND to your board and staff liaisons. You may also fax forms to 312.419.8950. Please contact your staff liaison at headquarters with questions.
Deadline: September 4, 2014
Why Use the Planning Grid?
The planning grid will help you link your committee's objectives to the strategic plan and priorities of the association. The components of the grid include
- Objective: what you expect to accomplish
- Who, Expertise Required: who will do the work
- Time Needed: when you intend to accomplish the objective
- Resource Required: what resources you need to accomplish the objective. This column should detail your financial needs and should be used for your budget request form.
- Product, Outcome: what item or action will result from accomplishing the objective.
- Evaluation: whether the objective was accomplished successfully.
You don't need to have objectives for every association goal/priority, but only for those that relate to your committee's charge.
For objectives that may be complex and involve several steps for their successful accomplishment, sample action plans are provided in the committee chair manual. This is for your internal planning only—do not send action plans to headquarters.
The Budget Request Form
Please place the total dollar figure from the Resources Required spaces on the planning grids on the budget request form. In other words, the total budget request should equal the sum of the financial resources needed for each objective represented on the planning grid forms. Please round amounts to the nearest $50.
Association Year/Fiscal Year
As a reminder, the association's year (beginning and ending terms for elected and appointed leaders) is from Annual Meeting to Annual Meeting (generally May–May; officially June 1 to May 31). The fiscal year is from January 1–December 31. In fulfilling your committee's objectives for your leadership year, you will be using part of the previous year's budget and part of the upcoming year's budget. For this reason it is important that you consult with the current chair of the committee as well as the chair-elect in developing your budget. This will provide continuity for your committee's planning and accomplishment of your objectives.