You are here
William S. Budington
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- National Issues Advisory Council, MLA Representative on National Information Policy, 1980–1981
- Ad Hoc Committee to Recommend Additional Sources of Income for MLA, Member, 1979–1980
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study MLA Group Structure, Member, 1975–1978
- Ad Hoc Search Committee for Executive Secretary, Member, 1972–1973
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, MLA Representative, 1971–1975
- Convention Committee, Printing Committee, Chair, 1961–1962
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1985
- American Academy of Health Information Professionals
- Johnson-Budington Library of the C. G. Jung Institute of Colorado, Denver, named in honor of William and Irma Johnson Budington
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Fellow
- Special Libraries Association (SLA), Hall of Fame, 1984
- Association College and Research Libraries, Academy Research Librarian of Year, 1982
- SLA Special Award: Illinois Chapter, SLA, for the SLA monograph, Special Libraries: A Guide for Management, a chapter project, 1967
- SLA, John Cotton Dana Lecture, Drexel Institute of Technology, 1966
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Founded Colorado Springs branch of C. C. Jung Society (with Irma Budington), 1984
- Association of Research Libraries, President, 1974–1975; Board of Directors, Member, 1970–1974
- Center for Research Libraries, Chair, 1972; Board of Directors, Member, 1970–1972
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Visiting Committee on Libraries, Member, 1972–1977
- Special Library Association, Mutual Exchange Delegation to the Soviet Union, Member, 1966–1967; President, 1964–1965; Board of Directors, Member, 1958–1965
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Budington WS. To enlarge sphere of human knowledge - role of independent research library. Coll Res Lib. 1976;37(4):299–315 .
- Budington WS, issue ed. Library services in metropolitan areas. Lib Trends. 1974 Oct;23(2).
- Budington WS. Service to industry by independent research libraries. Lib Trends. 1966; 14(3):288–94 .
- Budington WS. Objectives and standards for special libraries. Spec Lib. 1964 Dec; 10:672–9.
- Budington WS. Cost of information service. In: The Library as a Community Information Center. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois: 1959. p. 51–66.
- Executive Director, John Crerar Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1969–1984
- Director, Region VIII, Midwest Regional Medical Library, 1968–1979
- Librarian, John Crerar Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1964–1969
- Associate Librarian, John Crerar Library, University of Chicago, Chicago, IL, 1952–1965
- Librarian, Engineering and Physical Sciences, Columbia University, New York, NY,1947–1952
- Reference Librarian, Norwich University, Northfield, VT,1941–1942
- United States Army, 1942–1946
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Honors and awards. Proceedings, Eighty-fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. New York, New York, May 24–30, 1985. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):67–93. [cited 25 Nov 2012].
- LHD (Doctor of Humane Letters), Williams College, Williamstown, MA, 1975
- MS, Library Science, Columbia University, 1951. [Thesis: The obsolescence of engineering books].
- BS, Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute–Blacksburg, 1946 (Tau Beta Phi; Eta Kappa Nu)
- BS, Library Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1941
- BA, Williams College, Williamstown, MA, 1940 (Phi Beta Kappa)
Contributed by Diane McKenzie