You are here
Vern M. Pings
Also see Vern Pings' Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Consulting Editor, Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, 1974–1975
- Committee on Goals and Structure, 1969–1972
- Committee on Surveys and Statistics, 1965–1968
- Executive Council, Midwest Regional Group, 1964–1965
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1988
- Michigan Library Consortium, Trustee’s Certificate of Appreciation, 1983
- Michigan Library Association, Kaiser Memorial Award, 1980
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Pings VM. New medical library buildings II: Wayne State University School of Medicine Library. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1971 Apr;59(2):322–9 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Pings VM. Regional medical libraries: a concept and a necessity. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1971 Apr;59(2):242–6 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Orr RH, Pings VM, Pizer IH, Olson EE. Development of methodologic tools for planning and managing library services: project goals and approach. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1968 Jul;56(3):235–40 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Pings VM. Nursing libraries in historical perspective. Am J Nursing. 1965 Nov;65(11):115–20.
- Orr RH, Abdian G, Bourne CP, Coyl EB, Leeds AA, Pings VM. The biomedical information complex viewed as a system. Fed Proc 1964 Sep–Oct;23:1133–45.
- Professor, School of Library and Information Sciences, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1984–1986
- University Librarian, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1971–1984
- Lecturer, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, 1966–1971
- Director, Wayne State University Medical Library, Detroit, MI, 1961–1971
- Lecturer, Kent State University, Kent, OH, 1962
- Associate Professor, School of Librarianship, University of Denver, Denver, CO, 1960
- Assistant Librarian and Assistant Professor of Medicine, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1959–1960
- Director of Libraries, Ohio Northern University, 1958–1959
- Assistant engineering librarian, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1955–1958
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Detlefsen E, Mika JJ. Vernon Matthew Pings, FMLA, 1923–2008 [obituary] . J Med Libr Assoc. 2009 Jul;97(3):163–4 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- McKenzie D. MLA Oral History Committee interview with Vernon Pings. Summary of the interview conducted April 1, 2001. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 2001. [cited 16 Mar 2011].
(Birth 1923; Death 2008)
Compiled by James Shedlock, AHIP, FMLA