You are here
Sarah Cole Brown
See also Sarah Cole Brown's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, Vice-President, Immediate Past President, 1972–1975
- Board of Directors, Member, 1967–1970
- Medical Library Association/National Library of Medicine Liaison Committee, Member, 1966–1969; Chair 1968–1969
- Committee on Committees, 1968–1973; Chair, 1972–1973
- Nominating Committee, 1960–1962; Chair, 1962–1963
- Southern Regional Group, Charter Member, Chair, 1952–1954
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- American Association of Dental Schools, Section on Dental Libraries and Information Services, Chair, 1970–1971
- American Association for the History of Medicine, Conference Host, Birmingham, AL, 1970
- Alabama Library Association, President, 1969–1970; Executive Council member, 1970–1971
- Southeastern Regional Medical Library Program, Executive Council and Advisory Council, Member, 1969
- Comprehensive Health Planning Office, State of Alabama, Department of Public Health, Consultant, 1968–1969
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1978
- Charter Certification, 1952
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Women’s Committee of 100 of Birmingham, 1978
- Who’'s Who in America, 1980-81
- Hendrix College Distinguished Alumni
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Brown SC, Moore EA. Selected periodicals for the medical library/EBSCO Subscription Services, 1976.
- Brown SC. Cunningham classification. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1953 Oct;41(4):357–60. [cited 8 Feb 2012].
- Brown SC. Presidents page. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1973 Oct;61(4):449; Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1974 Jan;62(1):69; Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1974 Apr;62(2):158.
- Professor, Library Science, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 1973–1977
- Director, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 1973–1977
- Assistant Professor, Medical and Dental Bibliography, University of Alabama Medical Cencter, 1955–1972
- Director, Medical Center Library, Office of Learning Resources, University of Alabama Medical Center, 1955–1972
- Head, Cataloguing and Assistant Librarian, University of Alabama Medical Center, 1948–1955
- Librarian, US Army Air Force Combat Intelligence Four-Engine School, Maxwell Field, AL
- Post Librarian, US Army Air Force Tactical School, Maxwell Field, AL
- Assistant Librarian, Alabama College, Montevallo, AL
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Wender R. Transcript of oral interview with Sarah C. Brown: March 23, 1985. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available at http://www.mlanet.org/about/history/brown_s.html. [cited 8 Feb 2012].
- Staats J, ed. Honors and awards. Proceedings, 78th annual meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Chicago, Illinois, June 10–15, 1978. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1979 Jan;67(1):82–184. [cited 12 Mar 2012]
- Langner MC. Sarah Cole Brown, President, Medical Library Association, 1973/73. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1973 Jul;61(3):352–4. [cited 8 Feb 2012].
- BS, Library School, University of Illinois, 1934
- BA, Hendrix College, Conway, AK, 1933
Contributed by Diane McKenzie