You are here
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Section Council, Member, 1980
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1980–1983
- Bibliograhic and Information Services Assessment Committee, Member, 1976–1978
- Relevant Issues Section
- Chair, 1981–1983, 1986
- Steering Committee, Member, 1979–1982
- Upstate New York and Ontario Chapter (UNYOC)
- Chair, 1976–1977
- Vice Chair, 1975–1976
- Secretary Treasurer, 1969–1971
- Annual Meeting Chair, 1970
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1985
- Upstate New York and Ontario Chapter, Fellow, 1986
- University of Buffalo, Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Librarianship, 1976–1977 (first woman to receive the award)
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Volunteer, Long Island Jewish Medical Center Library
- Volunteer Information Specialist, National Cancer Institute's Cancer Information Service Memorial Sloan Kettering
- Volunteer Coordinator, Western New York Geriatric Education Center, State University of New York–Buffalo
- Book Reviewer, Library Journal
Publications (4 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Hesslein, SB. Reference and online services handbook: guidelines, policies and procedures for libraries [book review].Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1987 Jan;75(1):45. [cited 6 Dec 2012] .
- Hesslein SB. Serials on aging: an analytical guide. Greenwood Press; 1986. (Annotated Bibliographies of Serials: A Subject Approach, no. 9.)
- Hesslein S. Collection development policy manuals. State University of New York–Buffalo; 1980.
- Pearson E, Hesslein S. Nassau County's Health Department Library. Pub Health Rep. 1969 May;84(5):465–8.
- Library Manager, Parker Jewish Geriatric Institute, Wilpon Library, affiliate of the Long Island Jewish Medical Center
- Director, Lockwood Memorial Library, State University of New York–Buffalo, 1981–1984
- Instructor, Health Sciences Librarianship, School of Information and Library Studies State University of New York–Buffalo
- Associate Director, Health Sciences Library, State University of New York–Buffalo, 1971–1981
- Reference Librarian, Health Sciences Library, State University of New York–Buffalo, 1969–1971
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Rand DC. Shirley B. Hesslein, 1918–1992 [obituary]. Bull Med Lib. Assoc 1993 Jan;81(1):91. [cited 6 Dec 2012].
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, Eighty-fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., New York, New York, May 24–30, 1985 . Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):67–93. [cited 6 Dec 2012].
- MLS, Graduate School of Library Science, Rutgers University, 1964–1967
- M Ed, Chemistry, Columbia University Teachers College, New York, 1940–1941
- BA, Chemistry, Barnard College, 1940
- Wellesley College, 1936–1938
(Birth 1918; Death 1992)
Contributed by Diane McKenzie