You are here
Robert Grant Cheshier
See also Robert Chesheir's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ad Hoc Committee to Establish the Cunningham Endowment, Chair, 1987
- Council of Developing Medical School Libraries, Honors and Awards, Chair, 1984–1985
- Janet Doe Lectureship Subcommittee, Chair, 1984–1985
- International Cooperation Committee, Subcommittee on Affiliation of MLA with National and Multinational Groups, Chair, 1977–1979
- Annual Meeting, Executive Committee, Chair, 1975
- Annual Meeting, Program Committee, Chair, 1969
- Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System, Board of Trustees, Chair, 1975–1979
- Library Council of Greater Cleveland, Chair, 1975 and 1976
- Kentucky-Ohio-Michigan Regional Medical Library, Executive Committee, Chair, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1996
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1981
- Who’s Who in the Midwest, 18th edition, 1982
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Study Tour, Federal Republic of Germany, International Committee of the Library Association, 1981
- Hilbert T. Ficken Memorial Award, Baldwin-Wallace College, 1987
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Cheshier RG. The limits of the comprehensible: reflections on medical librarianship. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1981 Oct;6 (4):373–81. (Janet Doe Lecture on the history or philosophy of medical librarianship, Medical Library Association,81st Annual Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada; 2 Jun 1981.) [cited 10 Apr 2010].
- Cheshier RG, ed. Principles of medical librarianship: the environment affecting health science libraries. Cleveland, OH: Press of Case Western Reserve University; 1970. (Revised editions published as The Environment Affecting Health Science Libraries; 1975, 1977, 1980.)
- Cheshier RG. Research and the practicing librarian. J Edu Libr. 1979 Fall;20(2):142–8.
- Cheshier RG. Providing library services in a time of fiscal crisis: alternatives. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1977 Oct;65(4):419–24 [cited 10 Apr 2010].
- Cheshier RG. Information in the health care system. Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci. 1974 Mar;412:138–44.
- Director, Cleveland Health Sciences Library of the Cleveland Medical Association and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1966–1997
- Adjunct Professor, School of Library Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1980–1987
- Director, Medical Library Training Program, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1971–1986
- Head Librarian, Chicago Medical School, Chicago, IL, 1965–1966
- Library Assistant, Librarian and Branch Librarian, The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA, 1958–1964
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA’s Most Notables
- Poster: Oral History Project: Celebrating 30 Years of Health Science Library Visionaries. Presented by Joan Stoddart and Marlyse MacDonald. MLA Annual Meeting, 2006.
- Figa EG. MLA Oral History interview with Robert G. Cheshier. Summary of the interview conducted August 18–19, 1998. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 1999 [cited 10 Apr 2010].
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 96th annual meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1997 Jan; 86(1):96–7 [cited 14 Sep 2008].
- Delman BS. A problem-oriented approach to journal selection for hospital libraries. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1982 Oct;70(4):410[cited 10 Apr 2010].
The author wishes to express his appreciation to Robert G. Cheshier, director of the Cleveland Health Sciences Library, a mentor throughout the years who facilitated contacts with the community hospitals studied here, and to those professional colleagues at the Cleveland VA Medical Center and throughout the VA Library Network (VALNET) who provided encouragement and support for this effort.
- Pings VM. Principles of medical librarianship: the environment affecting health sciences libraries [review], by Robert G. Cheshier. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1971 Jul;59(3):536–7 [cited 10 Apr 2010].
(Birth 1932; Death 2013)
Compiled by Diane McKenzie, FMLA