You are here
Nina W. Matheson
See also Nina Matheson's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Fellows and Honorary Members Appointments Jury, chair, 1993-94
- President, 1983
- Board of Directors, 1982-84
- Nominating Committee, chair, 1982
- National Program Committee, chair, 1980
- Board of Directors, 1977-80
- Legislation Committee, chair, 1975-77
Honors and Awards
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1995
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1994
- Fellow, 1994
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1993
- President's Award, 1983
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Member, Institute of Medicine, 1993
- Visiting Professorship, Guy's and St. Thomas' Medical and Dental School, London, 1993
- Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics, 1990
- President, Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors (AAHSLD), 1987-88
- University of Washington School of Librarianship Alumni Assoc. Distinguished Alumna Award, 1978
- Beta Phi Mu, 1958
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1956
Publications (4 representative)
- Matheson NW. The idea of the Library. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1995 Jan; 83(1) :1-7.
- Matheson NW, Florance V. The health sciences librarian as knowledge worker. Libr Trends 1993; 42(1): 196-219.
- Lucier RE, Matheson NW, Reynolds RE, Butter KA. The knowledge workstation: an electronic environment for knowledge management. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1988 Jul;76(3):248-55.
- Matheson NW, Cooper JAD. Academic information in the academic health sciences center: roles for the library in information management. J Med Educ 1982 Oct (part 2);57(10):1-93. Also translated into Japanese by Suga T. Tokyo, Japan: Tokyo Medical College Library, 1987.
- Director Emerita and Professor of Medical Information, The Johns Hopkins Institutions, The William H. Welch Medical Library, Baltimore, MD, 1994 to present
- Director and Professor of Medical Information, The Johns Hopkins Institutions, The William H. Welch Medical Library, Baltimore, MD, 1991-93
- Director and Associate Professor of Medical Information, The Johns Hopkins Institutions, The William H. Welch Medical Library, Baltimore, MD, 1984-90
- Special Expert Consultant (Developed IAIMS grant program), National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1982-84
- Assistant Director, Health Information Management Studies, Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington, DC, 1980-82
- Director, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library and Asst. Research Professor, Dept. Health Care Sciences, George Washington University School of Medicine and the Health Sciences, Washington, DC, 1975-80
- Chief, Office of Program Planning and Evaluation, National Library of Medicine, Extramural Programs, Bethesda, MD, 1973-74
- Special Assistant, National Library of Medicine, Extramural Programs, Bethesda, MD, National Library of Medicine, Extramural Programs, Bethesda, MD, 1971-72
- Librarian and Assistant Professor, Psychiatry, University of Missouri School of Medicine, Missouri Institute of Psychiatry, St. Louis, MO, 1962-71
- Librarian, Indiana University Libraries, Bloomington, IN, 1961-62
- Selection Officer, National Library of Medicine, Washington, DC, 1959-61
- Special Intern, New York Public Library, New York, NY, 1958-59
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. Summary of Oral History Committee Interview with Nina Matheson. Interview conducted on October 23, 1986 by Nancy Bruce. Chicago, Medical Library Association, 1997. [cited June 7, 2003]. <http://mlanet.org/about/history/n_matheson.html>.
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 94th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1995;83(1):125.
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 93rd Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1994 Jan; 82(1):122.
- Hitt S. Nina W. Matheson, President, Medical Library Association, 1983/84. President's Page. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1983 Jul; 71(3):349-50.