You are here
Nancy K. Roderer
Nancy K. Roderer
Year Fellowship Conferred: 2013
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, member, 2010–
- Books Panel, chair
- MLANET Task Force, chair
- Medical Informatics Section, chair
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2013
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP), Distinguished Member, 1995
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, College of Information Studies, University of Maryland, 2009
- Fellow, American College of Medical Informatics (ACMI), 2005
- Watson Davis Award, American Society for Information Science and Technology, 2005
- Fellow, Branford College, Yale University, 1994
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Strong commitment to mentoring
- Instrumental in creating educational program at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, which includes a doctorate in health sciences informatics, two master’s programs, and three certificate programs
- Service as the principle investigator of major study on the recruitment of minorities to careers in health sciences informatics
- Strong commitment to evidence-based practice in medicine and informatics
- Peer reviewer for many journals: Annual Review of Information Science and Technology; American Society for Information Science and Technology Conference papers; Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology; American Medical Informatics Association Conference papers; Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association; Advances in Librarianship
- American Medical Informatics Association, Planning Committee, member, spring 2007 meeting; Academic Forum, cofounder
- American Society for Information Science & Technology, president, 2007–2008; Potomac Valley Chapter, chair, 1980, 1995; New York Chapter, chair, 1988; Publications Committee, chair, 1978, 1985; Education Committee, chair, 2006; Membership Committee, chair, 1991; Foundations of Information Science Special Interest Group, chair; Medical Information Systems Special Interest Group, chair
- National Library of Medicine, Associate Fellowship Program, coordinator, 1999–2000
- American Library Association, Founder, Libraries on the Information Superhighway Advocacy Network (LISAN); Joint Library and Information Technology Association/Library Administration and Management Association National Meeting, cochair, 1996; Accreditation Board for Library and Information Science Programs
- Library and Information Technology Association, president, 1995–1995
Publications (5 representative)
- Lehmann HP, Abbott PA, Roderer NK, Rothschild A, Mandell S, Ferrer JA, Miller, RE, Ball M, eds. Aspects of electronic health record systems. 2nd ed. Health Informatics Series. New York, NY: Springer Science-Business Media; 2006.
- Miller PL, Frawley SJ, Wright L, Roderer NK. SethMLS, Powsner SM. Lessons learned from a pilot implementation of the UMLS information-sources map. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 1995 Mar–Apr;2(2):102–15.
- Powsner SM, Roderer NK. Navigating the Internet. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1994 Oct;82(4):419–25.
- Roderer NK, Clayton PD. IAIMS at Columbia-Presbyterian-Medical-Center: accomplishments and challenges. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Jul;80(3)253–62.
- King DW, Roderer NK. Communication in physics: the use of journals. Phys Today 1982;35(10):43–7.
- Faculty emerita, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 2013–
- Director, Welch Medical Library, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 2000–2013
- Interim Director, Sheridan Library, and Dean of University Libraries, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD, 2001–2002
- Assistant Professor, 2000–2002; Associate Professor, 2002–2009; Professor, 2009–2013, Division of Health Sciences Informatics, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD,
- Associate Professor, 2008–2009; Professor, 2009–2013, School of Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD,
- Associate Professor, 2008–2009; Professor, 2009–2013, Department of Health Policy and Management, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
- Adjunct Professor, College of Information Studies, University of Maryland–Baltimore
- Director, Cushing/Whitney Medical Library, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1992–1998
- Acting Director, Health Sciences Library, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1991–1992
- Faculty, Center for Medical Informatics, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1991–1992
- Assistant Health Sciences Librarian for Resources and Reference Services, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1988–1992
- IAIMS Systems Librarian, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1986–1988
- Director, Planning and Evaluation, Informatics General Corporation, Rockville, MD, 1984–1985
- Director, King Research, Rockville, MD, 1982–1984
- Vice President, Evaluation, King Research, Rockville, MD, 1979–1984
- Vice President, Operations, King Research, Rockville, MD, 1980–1984
- Senior Research Associate, King Research, Rockville, MD, 1975–1979
- Library and Information Specialist, WESTAT, Rockville, MD, 1972–1975
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Proceedings of the 113th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association, Inc., Boston, MA: awards ceremony. J Med Lib Assoc. 2014 Jan;102(1):E10.
- Nancy Roderer [personals]. MLA News. 2012 Nov–Dec;52(10):4.
- Catholic University, postgraduate coursework, 1989–1990
- Columbia University, postgraduate coursework, 1974–1975
- MLS, information retrieval, University of Maryland, 1973
- BS, mathematics and computer science, University of Dayton, Dayton, OH, 1967