You are here
M. Irene Jones
See also M. Irene Jones' Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Program Committee, Member, 1970
- Board of Directors, Member, 1960–1963
- Finance Committee, Member, 1962
- Committee on Committees, Member, 1962
- Ad Hoc Committee on the Medical Library Association Finances, Member, 1961–1962
- Internship Sub-Committee, Chair, 1955–1956.
- Awards Committee, Chair, 1955–1957
- Standards for Medical Librarianship Committee, Member, 1955–1957; Assistant Chair, 1956–1957
- Public Relations Officer, 1948–1949
- Special Committee on a Medical Library Handbook, Member, 1939–1941; 1948–1956
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Postgraduate Training for Librarians, University of Tennessee Medical Units, Lecturer, 1966–1970
- Memphis Librarians Committee, Chair, 1966–1968
- Brooks Art Gallery, Docent
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1977
- Dictionary of International Biography
- Who’s Who of American Women
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Jones MI. Classification. In: Medical Library Association. Handbook of medical library practice. 2nd ed. Chicago, IL: American Library Association; 1956.
- Jones MI. The Army Medical Library classification. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1948 Jul;36(3):190–2. [cited 22 Mar 2012].
- Librarian, Mooney Memorial Library, University of Tennessee Medical Units–Memphis, 1959–1970
- Associate Librarian, Mooney Memorial Library, University of Tennessee Medical Units–Memphis, 1949–1959
- Assistant Chief and Head of Catalog Section, Army Medical Library, Washington, DC, 1945–1949
- Cataloger, Burton Historical Collection, Detroit Public Library, Detroit, MI, 1941–1945
- Cataloger, Medical Science Department, Detroit Public Library, Detroit, MI, 1928–1941
- Cataloger, University of Indiana, 1927–1928
- Junior Cataloger, Utica Public Library, Utica, NY, 1925–1927
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Martin JA. M. Irene Jones, 1902–1990 [obituary]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1991 Apr;79(2):257–8. [cited 22 Mar 2012].
- Brodman E. Transcript of oral interview with M. Irene Jones: 9 Oct 1978. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary is available. [cited 22 Mar 2012].)
- Award presentations. Proceedings, Seventieth annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., New York, New York, May 30–June 3, 1971. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1972 Jan;60(1):174–270.
- Library Certificate, University of Wisconsin, 1925
- BA, English, University of Wisconsin, 1925
(Birth 1902; Death 1990)
Contributed by Diane McKenzie