You are here
Lynn M. Fortney
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, member, 1998, 2004, 2010
- Ethics Task Force, member, 2008–2009
- Scholarly Publishing Task Force, member, 2004–2007
- Task Force on Online Education for MLA’s Center of Excellence, chair, 2001–2003
- Board of Directors, member, 2000–2003
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, cover editor, 2000–2006
- Cunningham Memorial International Fellowship Planning Committee, member, 1999–2000
- Centennial Coordinating Committee, Fundraising Team, member, 1998
- National Program Committee, member, 1991–1993
- Publishing and Information Industries Committee, member, 1993–1995
- MLA continuing education course, “Marketing Library Services,” instructor, 1989–1994
- Collection Development Section, chair, 2006–2007
- Research Section, member
- Southern Chapter, Strategic Planning Committee, chair, 2002–2003; Nominating Committee, chair, 2001–2002; chapter chair, 2000–2001; chair-elect/Program Committee chair, 1999–2000
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2011
- Collection Development Section, (first) Daniel T. Richards Prize for Writing Related to Collecting in the Health Sciences, 1999 (for the Index Medicus Price Study, 1998–1999)
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Acted as bridge between the library and publishing worlds
- Developed the Index Medicus Price Study, published annually in Serials Review since 1999
- Australian Library and Information Association “Specials” Conference, keynote speaker, 2001
- Invited speaker on medical librarianship in Germany, England, Italy, Poland, Hong Kong, France, Australia, and New Zealand
- Alabama Health Libraries Association, founding member and first president, 1980–1981
- Member of Bearded Pigs, the world’s first open access, international, librarian rock band
Publications (5 representative)
- Fortney L. From the “other” side: working for a vendor. Ref Serv Rev. 2004;32(1):89–92.
- Fortney L. Index Medicus price study. Published annually in Ser Rev. 1990–1998.
- Fortney LM, Rieke J, Carlson BA. Collection development assessment for biomedical serials collections. Serials Lib. 1993;23(3–4):289–92.
- Fenske RE, Fortney LM. The use of jargon in medical school libraries. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1986 Jan;74(1):12–5.
- Fortney LM. Ripping and filing journal articles [letter to the editor]. N Engl J Med. 1984 Dec 20;311(25):1640.
- Vice President of Medical E-journals and E-Packages, EBSCO Information Services, 2014–
- Director of the Biomedical Division and Vice President; Medical Library Marketing Manager, 1989–2014; EBSCO Industries
- Associate Director for Public Services, Lister Hill Library of the Health Sciences, University of Alabama–Birmingham, 1982–1989
- Chief Medical Librarian and Medical Reference Librarian, College of Community Health Sciences, University of Alabama–Tuscaloosa, 1973–1982
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, 111th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Minneapolis, MN, May 13–18, 2011. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Jan;100(1):E1–E26. [cited 16 Sep 2012].
- 2000/2001 election slate announced. MLA News. 1999 Oct;320:1.
- MS, Librarianship, Emory University, 1973
- BA, American Studies, Studio Art, Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA, 1972