You are here
See also Louise Darling's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Handbook of Medical Library Practice, Editor, 1976-88
- Honors and Awards Committee, chair, 1976-77
- AdHoc Committee to Develop a New Certification Code, chair, 1972-75
- Planning Committee for the 1972 Annual Meeting, co-chair, 1972
- MLA-National Library of Medicine Liaison Committee, chair, 1965-66
- Vice President, 1962-63
- Board of Directors, member, 1961-65
- Committee on International Cooperation, chair, 1959-63
- Committee on Internships, chair, 1959-60
- Medical Library Group of Southern California
- President, 1950-51
- Secretary-Treasurer, 1949-50
Honors and Awards
- President's Award, 1989
- ISI/Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award, 1984
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1983
- Fellow, 1978
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1974
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1973
- Biomedical Librarian Emeritus, University of California, Los Angeles, 1979
- UCLA Alumni Association Award of Distrinctions, 1977
- Golden Bruin Award, UCLA Medical Center Auxiliary, 1961
Publications (5 representative)
- Darling L, ed., Bishop D, Colaianni LA assoc eds. Handbook of Medical Library Practice, 4th ed. Chicago: Medical Library Association, 1982-88.
- Darling L, Fayollat J. Evolution of a processing system in a large biomedical library. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1976 Jan; 64(1):20-4.
- Darling L. The view behind and ahead: implications of certification. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1973 Oct; 61(3):375-86.
- Darling L. Personal views on personnel administration. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1970 Jul; 58(3):346-9.
- Darling L. On education for biomedical librarianship. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1964 Oct; 52:701-5.
- Librarian (Associate University Librarian), Biomedical Library, Center for the Health Sciences, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1947-78
- Assistant Dean for Library Affairs, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1976-78
- Lecturer, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of California, Los Angeles, 1961-78
- Lecturer, Department of Medical History, School of Medicine, University of California, Los Angeles, 1958-78
- Army Librarian and Area Library Supervisor, U.S. Army Special Services Office, Hawaii and Philippine Islands, 1944-47
- Science Reference Assistant, University of California Library, Los Angeles, CA, 1941-44
- Librarian, Acalanes Union High School, Lafayette, CA, 1940-41
- Assistant Librarian, Giannini Foundation of Agricultural Economics, University of California, Berkeley, CA 1936-39
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. Summary of Oral History Interview with Louise M. Darling. Interview conducted April 7-8, 1981 by David Bishop. Chicago, Medical Library Association, 1986. [cited June 7, 2003]. <http://mlanet.org/about/history/l_darling.html>.
- Honors and Awards Luncheon. Proceedings of the 75th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1975 Jan; 63(1):111.
- Holleman MP. Louise Darling, President, Medical Library Association, 1963/64. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1963 Jul; 51(3):421-4.
(Birth 1911; Death 1999)