You are here
Karen Brewer, PhD
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Leadership and Management Section, Founding Member; Chair, 2001
- Medical School Libraries Section, Strategic Planning Committee, Chair, 1999
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1996
- Board of Directors, Member, 1991–1994
- Awards Committee, Member, 1987–1990; Chair, 1990
- Research Section, Legislative Committee, Liaison, 1987–1989
- MLA/AAHSLD Task Force on the Development of Standards and Guidelines, Member, 1980–1987 [Love E, ed. Challenge to action: planning and evaluation guidelines for academic health sciences libraries. Joint Task Force of the Association of Academic Health Science Library Directors (AAHSLD) and the Medical Library Association.Chicago, IL: The Task Force; 1987.]
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study International Exchange and Redistribution of Materials, Member, 1979–1982
- Annual Meeting Library Exhibits Committee, Chair, 1975
- New York-New Jersey Chapter, MLA, 1989–
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2006
- New York-New Jersey Chapter, Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- American Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1996
- New York Academy of Medicine, Fellow, 1989–2012
- New York University (NYU), Friends of the Ehrman Medical Library, established Karen Brewer Lectureship, 2010
- Who's Who in America, 1996–2010
- Who's Who of American Women, 1995–2010
- NYU School of Medicine Class '90, Special Certificate of Merit, 1990
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- NYU Masters in Global Public Health Program, Informatics Workshop in Global Public Health, I and II, 2006–2010
- New York Academy of Medicine, Committee on Admission, Member, 2004–2012
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors Educational Research Task Force, Chair, 2007–2009
- Charting the Future Task Force, Chair, 2000–2003
- President, 1995
- Annual Statistics of Medical School Libraries, Editorial Board, Member, 1987–1993; Secretary–Treasurer, 1986–1989
- Queens College, City University of New York, Introduction to Health Sciences Librarianship, Course Director, 1998–2004
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Ad Hoc Committee, LCME Guidelines for Library and Information Resource Section, Member, 2000
- NYU School of Medicine, Research Training Course in Ethics, Course Developer and Lecturer, 1994–2000
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Dunn K, Brewer K, Marshall JG, Sollenberger J. Measuring the value and impact of health sciences libraries: planning an update and replication of the Rochester Study. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Oct;97(4):308–12. [cited 10 Nov 2012]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.97.4.016.
- Brewer K, Homan JM, Messerle J, Yokote G. Building on success: charting the future of knowledge management wthin the academic health center. Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries; 2003.
- Cuddy C, Brewer K, Fitzpatrick RB, Faraino R, Trainor A, Ciotoli C. Eliminating barriers: A training intervention in the use of medical information resources within an information-rich ambulatory care environment. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2001 Jan;61(1):886.
- Aull F, Nachbar MS, Smith R, Brewer K. An on-line resource for the medical humanities. Acad Med; 1994 Sep;69(9):737–8.
- Brewer K, Pitkin G, Edgar N. Method for cooperative serials selection and cancellation through consortium activities. J Acad Lib. 1978;4(4):204–8.
- Adjunct Professor, School of Library and Information Science, Queens College, City University of New York, NY, 1998–2004
- Director and Curator, Frederick L. Ehrman Medical Library, New York University Medical Center–New York , 1988–2009
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, School of Library Science, Kent State University, Kent, OH, 1983–1988
- Director, Oliver Ocasek Regional Medical Information Center, College of Medicine, Northeastern Ohio Universities–Rootstown, 1976–1988
- Reference Librarian, Head of Serials, Head of Reference, Acting Librarian School of Medicine, Cleveland Health Sciences Library, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1970–1976
- Reference and Interlibrary Loan Librarian, Mooney Medical Library University of Tennessee Medical School–Memphis, 1968–1969
- Head of Reserve Collection, W. S. Middleton Medical Library, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1966–1967
- Student Assistant, W. S. Middleton Medical Library, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1961–1965
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Personals. MLA News. 2009 Oct;(420):8. [cited 16 Nov 2012].
- Lynch FH, Rieke JL, eds. Awards presentation. Proceedings of the 106th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Lib Assoc. 2007 Jan;95(1):E10–E47. [cited 14 Nov 2012].
- PhD, American History/ Chinese American Relations, Case Western Reserve University, 1983
- MA, Library Science, University of Wisconsin–Madison,1966
- BA, Asian Studies, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1965
Contributed by Karen Brewer