You are here
See also Judith Messerle's Oral History Summary and
Judith Messerle Bethesda 11 Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ad Hoc Committee for Fellows and Honorary Members, chair,1987-88
- Joint AAHSLD.MLA Legislative Task Force, chair, 1987-88
- President, 1986-87
- Nominating Committee, chair 1985-86; elected member 1980, 1990
- MLA/NLM Liaison Committee, chair, 1984-1985
- Board of Directors, member, 1981-84, 1985-88
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study the Feasibility of Accreditation for Hospital Libraries, chair, 1979-81
- Hospital Libraries Interest Group, president, 1977-78
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2000
- Fellow, 1999
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Eliot Prize, 1984
- MLA Certification, Grade 1, 1971 (Re-certification 1983)
- Dean's Award for Support and Advancement of Women Staff, Harvard Medical School, 2001
- Who's Who in America, 2001
- American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), Fellow 1998
- OCLC Special Library Advisory Council, member, 1994-97
- NLM Region 8 Regional Advisory Committee, member, 1992-93
- NLM Biomedical Library Review Committee, member, 1988-92
- MEDLARS and Health Information Policy Advisory Panel for the U.S. Office of Technological Assessment, member, 1981-82
- Consultant, NLM, Regional Medical Library Reconfiguration, 1981-82
Member, Illinois State Library Advisory Committee, 1979-81
- Lewis & Clark Regional White House Conference on Libraries, chair, 1979
- NLM Hospital Librarians Panel (Bethesda II), member, 1978
- Beta Phi Mu, University of Illinois Library School, 1967
Publications (5 representative)
- Messerle J. The road not taken. Bull Med Libr Assoc 2001 Jan 89; (1):1-7. [cited May 31, 2003]. <http://pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=31698>.
- Messerle J. The changing continuing education role of health sciences libraries. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1990 Apr; 78(2):180-7.
- Messerle J., Health science libraries: strategies in an era of changing economics. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1987 Jan; 75(1):27-33.
- Bradley J, Messerle J., eds, Hospital Library Management, Chicago, Medical Library Association: 1983.
- Librarian for the Harvard Medical and Boston Medical Libraries at the Countway Library of Medicine, Boston, MA, August 1989-present
- Library Director, St. Louis University Medical Center, St. Louis, MO, 1985-89
- Director of Administrative Services, St. Joseph's Hospital, Alton, IL, 1984-85
- Director, Educational Resources and Community Relations, St. Joseph's Hospital, Alton, IL, 1979-84
- Director, Information Services, St. Joseph's Hospital, Alton, IL, 1976-79
- Director, Medical Center Library, St. Joseph's Hospital, Alton, IL, 1971-76
- Librarian, St. Joseph's School of Nursing, Alton, IL, 1967-71
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 99th Annual Meeting. Bull Med Libr Assoc 2000 Jan; 88(1):112. [cited June 1, 2003]. <http://pubmedcentral.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=31720>.
- Bradley J. Judith R. Messerle, President, Medical Library Association, 1986-1987. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1986 Jul; 74(3): 267-9.