You are here
Jo Ann Bell Wootten, PhD
See also Jo Ann Bell Wootten's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Credentialing Committee, Chair, 1993–1995
- Task Force to Review the Academy of Health Information Professionals, Member, 1995–1996
- Professional Recognition Review Panel, Member, 1988–1991; Chair, 1990–1991
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1986
- Medical School Libraries Group, Chair, 1980–1981
- Search Committee for Director of Education, Member, 1979
- Medical Education Group, Nominating Committee, Chair, 1979
- Certification Examination Review Committee, Member, 1978–1981
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Committee on Education, Chair 1993–1995
- East Carolina University
- School of Medicine Strategic Task Force to Increase Access to Medical Information for Clinicians, Chair, 1992–1993
- Search Committee for Dean, School of Allied Health Sciences, Chair, 1990–1992
- Chancellor Search Committee, Executive Secretary, 1986–1987
- Faculty Senate, Member, 1972–1976
- Regional Medical Library Program (NLM Region IV), Advisory Council, Member, 1977–1982; Member, 1988–1991
- Special Libraries Association, North Carolina Chapter
- Second Vice President, 1987–1989; Sarah Aull Award Committee, Chair, 1982–1983
- North Carolina Library Association, Director, 1969–1971
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1997
- Beta Phi Mu
- Beta Gamma Sigma (Honor Society for AACSB Accredited Business Programs)
- Who’s Who in Library and Information Services, 1982
- Who’s Who of American Women, 1974–1975
- Outstanding young Women of America, 1972
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Bell JA. History of the Medical Library Association’s credentialing program. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jul;84(3):320–33. [cited 7 Jan 2012].
- Bell J, Anderson S, Chan CW, Cheng CS. Methodology for a comparison of book jobber performance. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1982 Apr;70(2):229–31. [cited 7 Jan 2012].
- Bell JA. Library management/marketing. 2nd ed. Medical Library Association; 1980.
- Bell JA. The role of library schools in providing continuing education for the profession. J Educ Lib. 1979 Winter;19(3):248–59.
- Bell JA. The academic health sciences library and serial selection. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1974 Jul;62(3):281–90. [cited 7 Jan 2012].
- Director, Health Sciences Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1969–1997
- Acting Director, J Y Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1982–1983 and 1988–1990
- Adjunct Assistant Professor, Library Sciences Department, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1969
- Head Librarian, Pitt Technical Institute, Greenville, NC, 1967–1969
- Assistant Librarian, Special Collections Department, J Y Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1966–191967
- Visiting Professor, Library Sciences Department, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1971
- Visiting Professor, School of Business, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, Fall semesters 1982, 1983, and 1984–1985
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Squires SJ, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings, 97th annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, Washington, May 24–28, 1997. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1998 Jan;86(1):117–43. [cited 13 Jun 2006].
- PhD, library science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1980
- MBA, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC, 1976
- MSLS, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1966
- BA, history, Duke University, Durhma, NC, 1963
Contributed by Jo Ann Bell Wooten