You are here
Jana Bradley, PhD
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, 1984–1985; Chair, 1997–1998
- President, President-Elect, Immediate Past President, 1994–1997
- Research Task Force Member, 1992–1994
- Information Management Task Force, Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, MLA Representative, 1990–1994
- Publication Panel, Chair, 1984–1985
- Board of Directors, Member, 1981–1984
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Associate Editor, 1979–1981
- Hospital Libraries Section, Standards and Practices Committee, Member, 1978–1979
- Continuing Education Instructor, 1977–1992
- Courses: Writing for Publication, Hospital Library Management, Managerial Writing, Designing Learning Situations
- Midwest Chapter, 1977–1999
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Successfully led School of Information Science, University of Syracuse, through American Library Association reaccreditation process, 2002
- Developed the new Indiana University-Purdue University Indianapolis program in library and information science, as a satellite program of the Bloomington-based School of Library and Information Science at Indiana University
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2003
- MLA’s Most Notable List, 1998
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1995
- Leadership Award, Hospital Libraries Section, 1993
- Ida and George Eliot Prize for Outstanding Publication in Medical Librarianship, 1983
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- List of Excellent Teachers, University of Illinois–Urbana–Champaign, Spring, 1992
- Berner-Nash Award, Outstanding PhD Dissertation, Graduate School of Library Information Science, University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign, May 1992
- Outstanding Graduate Student in Library Science, University of California–Los Angeles,1969
- Outstanding Female Graduate Student, University of California–Los Angeles,1969
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Bradley J. Applied information quality. J Urban Health. 1998 Dec;75(4):864–77.
- Bradley J. The changing face of health information. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jan:84(1):1–10. [cited 12 Sep 2012].
- Bradley J, Sutton S. Reframing the paradigm debate. Lib Q. 1993 Oct;63:405–10.
- Bradley J. Methodological issues in qualitative research. Lib Q. 1993 Oct;63:431–49.
- Bradley J. Management of information: an analysis of the Joint Commission’s standards for information management. Topics Health Inf Manage. 1995 Nov;16(2):51–63.
- Bradley J. Hospital library management. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association; 1983.
- Professor and Director, School of Information Resources and Library Science, University of Arizona–Tucson, 2004–
- Associate Professor and Director, Master’s of Library and Information Science School of Information Studies Program, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 1999–2004
- Assistant Professor, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University-Purdue University–Indianapolis (IUPUI), 1993–1999
- Applied Informatics Fellow, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD, 1996–1997 [on leave from IUPUI]
- Assistant Dean, School of Libarry and Information Science, and Director, IUPUI Program, School of Library and Information Science, Indiana University–Bloomington, 1993–1995.
- Assistant Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign, 1991–1993
- Director of Libraries, DePauw University, Greencastle, IN, 1983–1988
- Director, Library/Media Services, Wishard Memorial Hospital, Indianapolis, IN, 1975–1983
- Editor, Youth Publications, Curtis Publishing Company, Indianapolis, IN, 1973–1975 (Editor of Young World Magazine, Associate Editor of Jack & Jill Magazine)
- Serials Librarian, El Camino College, Torrance, CA,1972–1973
- Branch Librarian, Los Angeles County Public Library System, Los Angeles, CA, 1970–1972
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Fulda PO, Satterthwaite RK, eds. Awards ceremony. Proceedings of the 103rd Annual Meeting of the Medical Library Association, Inc. San Diego, California May 2–7, 2003. J Med Lib Assoc 2004 Jan;92(1):128–30. [cited 20 Apr 2006] .
- Messerle JR. Jana Bradley, Ph.D. Medical Library Association President 1995–1996. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1995 Jul;83(3):369–71. [cited 31 Jan 2012].
- Bloomquist H. Hospital library management by Jana Bradley [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1984 Oct;72(4):403–4. [cited 31 Jan 2012].
- Siemers LK. Improving written communication in libraries by Jana Bradley and Larry Bradley [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1990 Jan;78(1):79–80. [cited 31 Jan 2012].
- Byrd GD, Squires SJ, eds. Inaugural address. Proceedings, Ninety-Fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Washington, D.C. May 7–10, 1995. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jan;84(1):133–61. [cited 31 Jan 2012].
- Smith LC. Interdisciplinary multiinstitutional alliances in support of educational programs for health sciences librarians. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Oct;84(4):560–8. [cited 31 Jan 2012].
- PhD, Library/Information Science, 1991, University of Illinois–Urbana-Champaign
- MLS, Library Service, 1969, University of California–Los Angeles
- MA, English Literature, 1967,University of Pennsylvania–Philadelphia
- BA, English Literature,1965, Bryn Mawr College, Bryn Mawr, PA
Contributed by Diane McKenzie, AHIP, FMLA