You are here
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- National Program Committee, Local Assistance Committee, Cochair, 2008
- National Program Committee, Cochair, 2004–2006
- Co-instructor, CE 265, Library Director: Knowledge, Skills and Career Paths, developed in conjunction with the Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, and presented with Wayne Peay, University of Utah; Judy Messerle, Harvard University; and Rick Forsman, University of Colorado; at 2002 and 2003 MLA annual meetings
- Nominating Committee: Elected member, 1991, 2000, 2014
- Corporate Information Services Section: Web Editor, 2001–2006
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association: Book Review Editor, 1989–1991; Editorial Board, Member 1989–1991, 2000–2003
- Board of Directors: Member, 1996–1999
- Medical Informatics Section, Chair, 1994–1995
- Medical Informatics News, Editor, 1992–1993
- Medical Informatics Section, Newsletter Committee, Chair, 1993–1995
- Medical Informatics Section (MIS), MIS Information Service (web page), Publisher, 1995–1998
- National Program Committee, Local Assistance Committee, Publicity and Promotions Subcommittee, Chair, 1992–1993
- Medical School Libraries Section, Chair, 1990–1991
- Interlibrary Loan and Resource Sharing Standards and Practices Committee, Chair, 1985–1986
- American Library Association, Reference and Adult Services Division, Interlibrary Loan Committee, Representative, 1985–1987
- Public Services Section, Executive Committee, Member, 1985–1988
- Section Council, Alternate Representative, Public Services Section, 1985–1988
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association Editorial Board, Chair, 1981–1982
- Midwest Chapter, MLA Nominating Committee Candidate, 1993
- Midwest Chapter, Program Committee, Continuing Education Subcommittee, Member, 1985–1986
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Program Committee, Member, 1983–1984
Honors and Awards
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP): Member 1989–1990; Distinguished Member, 1991–2015; Certified Medical Librarian: 1977; renewed 1982, 1987
- Fellow, 2007
- Honorable Mention, Best Research Paper, Research Section, Medical Library Association, 2002
- ISI-Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award for contributions to the creation of HealthWeb, 1998
- Best Research Poster, Research Section, Medical Library Association, 1997
- National Library of Medicine, Biomedical Library and Informatics Review Committee, Member, 2005–2009
- Institute of Medicine of Chicago, Fellow, 1996-2013
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Shedlock J, Frisque M, Hunt S, Walton LJ, Handler J, Gillam M. Case study: the Health SmartLibrary experiences in web personalization and customization at the Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University. J Med Libr Assoc. 2010 Apr;98(2):98–104 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J, Walton L. An academic medical library using LibQUAL+: the experience of the Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University. J Libr Admin. 2004;40(3/4):99–110.
- Shedlock J, Byrd G. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: a thematic history. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):178–85 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Byrd G, Shedlock J. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries Annual Statistics: an exploratory 25-year trend analysis. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Apr;91(2):186–202 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Ludwig L, Shedlock J, Watson L, Dahlen K, Jenkins C. Designing a library: everyone on the same page? Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Apr;89(2):204–11 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J, Ross F. A library for the twenty-first century: the Galter Health Sciences Library’s renovation and expansion project. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1997 Apr;85(2):176–86 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Shedlock J. The Galter Health Sciences Library at Northwestern University: a library for the 21st century. Presented at the National Library of Medicine/University of Maryland at Baltimore Symposium on Building the Library/Information Center of the Future; Bethesda, MD; 7–8 Apr 1994. Published in the Proceedings of the symposium. Comput Meth Programs Med. 1994;44:227–35.
- Director, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1991–2012; retired, 2013-
- Associate Director, Galter Health Sciences Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1988–1991
- Head of Public Services, Archibald Church Medical Library, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 1985–1988
- Assistant Head of Information Services, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1984–1985
- Coordinator of Online Search Services, Health Sciences Library, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill,1983–1985
- Document Delivery Librarian, Vera Shiffman Medical Library, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1979–1982
- Reference-Serials Librarian, St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, Pontiac, MI, 1977–1979
MLA published statements about the fellow
Lynch FH, Rieke JL. Presentation of awards: Proceedings of the 107th Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc.; Philadelphia, PA; May 18–23, 2007. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 Jan;96(1):e1–e35. DOI 10.3163/1559-9439.96.1.E1. [cited 16 Mar 2011].
Updated March 2014