You are here
J. Michael Homan
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Chair, 2013 National Program Committee, 2010–2013
- Chair, Librarians Without Borders® Advisory Committee, 2010–2012
- Chair, MLA/AAHSL Joint Legislative Task Force, 2006–2008; Vice-Chair 2009–2010
- Chair, Task Force on Global Initiatives, 2003–2005
- Chair, Nominating Committee, 2001–2002
- President, 2000–2001
- Board of Directors: 1986–1989; 1999–2002
- Editor, Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, 1996–2000
- Managing Editor of Books, 1990–1996
- Chair, Information Systems Task Force, 1986–1992
- Chair, Pharmacy & Drug Information Section, 1982–1983
- Chair, Scholarship Committee, 1979–1980
- Nominating Committee: 1981–1982; 1990–1991; 2003–2004
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona Chapter
- President-Elect/Program Chair, 1978–1979
Honors and Awards
- Carla J. Funk Governmental Relations Award, 2011
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 2009
- Fellow, 2003
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1990+
Publications (5 representative)
- Homan JM. Eyes on the prize: reflections on the impact of the evolving digital ecology on the librarian as expert intermediary and knowledge coach 1969-2009. J Med Libr Assoc 2010 Jan; 98(1):49–56.
- Homan JM. Becoming an internationalist: reflections on the international activities of Estelle Brodman. J Med Libr Assoc 2008 Jul;96(3):242–48.
- Homan JM, Watson LA. STM publishing meets NIH digital archive: librarian service on the PubMed Central National Advisory Committee. Ref Serv Rev 2004 Feb;32(1):83–8.
- Brewer K, Homan JM, Messerle J, Yokote G. Building on success: charting the future of knowledge management within the academic health center. Seattle, WA: Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, 2003.
- Homan JM. The role of medical librarians in reducing medical errors. Also excerpted on the HealthLeaders News Website. 2002 September 16.
- Homan JM, McGowan JJ. The Medical Library Association: promoting new roles for health information professionals. J Med Libr Assoc 2002 Jan;90(1):80–5.
- Homan JM. "Inaugural address: promoting a passion for the profession - keeping our eyes on the prize!" In Proceedings of the One Hundreth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, May 5-11, 2000. Bull Med Libr Assoc 2001 Jan;89(1)117–21.
- Director of Libraries, Mayo Clinic and Mayo Clinic College of Medicine, Rochester, MN, 1994–present; Assistant Professor of Medical Informatics, College of Medicine, 1997–present
- Assistant University Librarian for the Sciences, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, 1988–1994
- Acting Assistant University Librarian for Humanities and Social Sciences, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, 1991–1993
- Library Personnel Supervisor, University of California, Irvine, Irvine, CA, 1991-94
- Head of Information Services and Central Technical Documents, The Upjohn Company, Corporate Technical Library, Kalamazoo, MI, 1979–1988
- Head, Information Services, Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library Service, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1974–1979
- Regional Medical Library Media Consultant, Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library Service, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1974–1979
- Information Specialist/MEDLARS Search Analyst, Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library Service, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1972–1974
MLA published statements about the fellow