You are here
Helen T. Yast
See also Helen T. Yast's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Board of Directors, Member, 1972–1975
- Ad Hoc Committee to Review Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals Accreditation Manual for Hospitals, Chair, 1974
- Treasurer and Finance Committee Chair, 1972–1974
- Ad Hoc Executive Director Search Committee, Member, 1973
- Annual Meeting Program Committee, Co-Chair, 1972
- Ad Hoc Committee to Develop a New Certification Code, Member, 1972
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1967–1969
- Committee on Standards for Medical Library Technician Training, Chair, 1967–1969
- Ad Hoc Committee on Small Medical Libraries, Member, 1963–1965
- Representative to the Joint Commission on Hospital Libraries, 1963–1965
- Hospital Library Section, Chair, 1963–1964
- Annual Meeting Program Committee, Co-Chair, 1962
- “The Small Medical Library in the Hospital,” Designer and Teacher, 1960
- Midwest Regional Group
- Bylaws Committee, Chair, 1967–1969
- Subcommittee on User Needs, Chair, 1967
- Chair, 1957–1958
- Treasurer, 1956–1957
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- American Library Association. Elections Committee, Member, 1972–1973; Chair, 1974–1975
- American Library Association, Council Member, 1967–1971
- American Hospital Association, Committee on Library Services, Member
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Hospitals, Advisory Committee to Revise Library Standards, Member, 1968–1971
- Association of Hospital and Institutional Libraries, President, 1959–1960
- Cumulative Index to Hospital Literature, Editor, 1947–1954
Honors and Awards
- MLA Most Notables
- Marcia C Noyes Award, 1980
- Fellow, 1977
- American Hospital Association Trustees Award, 1975
- Association of Hospital and Institutional Libraries, Exceptional Services Award, 1976
- Beta Phi Mu
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1937
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Yast H. Library practice in hospitals: a basic guide. Case Western Reserve; 1972.
- Yast H. Standards for library service in institutions: B. in the health care setting. Lib Trends. 1972 Oct;21:267–85.
- Yast H. The program of the American Hospital Association. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Apr;57(2):177–82. [cited 19 Mar 2012].
- Yast HT. Ninety recommended journals for the hospital’s health science library. Hospitals. 1967 Jul 1;41(13):59–62.
- Yast H. “And Gladly Teach”: The American Hospital Association’s experience in conducting institutes on hospital librarianship. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1964 Jan;52:81–9. [cited 19 Mar 2012].
- Director, Division of Library Services, American Hospital Association, 1954–1975
- Assistant Librarian, American Hospital Association, Chicago, 1947–1954
- Librarian, Public Health Service, 1942–1947
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Presentation of awards (Fellows). Proceedings, 111th annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Minneapolis, MN, May 13–18, 2011. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Jan;100(1):E1–E26. [cited 26 Jan 2012].
- Alpi KM, Delgado D, eds. Presentation of awards (Louise Darling Medal). Proceedings, 110th annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Washington, DC, May 21–26, 2010 J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jan;99(1):E1–E45. [cited 26 Jan 2012].
- Staats J, ed. Awards. Proceedings, Seventy-seventh annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, Washington, June 11–16, 1977. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1978 Jan;66(1):86–174. [cited 19 Mar 2012].
- MS, Library Science, Rosary College, River Forest, IL, 1967
- AB, Latin, Indiana University, 1937
(Birth 1917; Death 2008)
Contributed by Diane McKenzie