You are here
Gwendolyn S. Cruzat, PhD
See also Gwendolyn S. Cruzat's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Awards and Scholarship Committee, member, 1990–1991
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, member, 1989–1991
- Honors and Awards Committee, chair, 1982–1983
- Janet Doe Lectureship Committee, member, 1979–1983; chair, 1982–1983
- Committee to Develop a Statement of Goals for MLA, member, 1978–1981
- Committee to Examine the Status and Economic Interests of Health Sciences Library Personnel, member, 1975–1978
- Publications Committee, member, 1973–1975
- Committee on Goals and Structure, member, 1969–1973
- Continuing education instructor (medical bibliography), 1969–1971
- Library Research Section, chair, 1983–1984
- Medical Library Education Section, vice-chair, 1976–1977; chair, 1977–1978
- New York Regional Group, speaker, 1972
- Tri-State Hospital Assembly, chair, 1968
- Midwest Regional Group, speaker, 1967
Honors and Awards
- MLA’s Most Notables, 1998
- Fellow, 1993
- April 1990 cover, Bulletin of the Medical Library Association. [Cited 8 Jan 2013].
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1979. Medical librarianship: a systems perspective. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Apr;68(2): 191–6. [Cited 8 Jan 2013].
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Doctor of humane letters, honorary degree, Fisk University, 2006
- Consortium of Doctors Honoree, 1993
- Tournament of Roses Award, 1991
- Big Ten Conference Medal, 1991
- Distinguished Alumna, Atlanta University School of Information and Library Studies, 1989
- February 1978 cover, American Libraries
- Distinguished Service Award, University of Michigan, 1976–1977
- Beta Phi Mu Honorary Society, 1954
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Developed a concentration in health sciences librarianship at the School of Information and Library Studies, University of Michigan
- Fisk University Board of Trustees, member, 1996–2005
- University of Michigan Alumni Association, director-at-large, 1986–1989
- Board of Regents, National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health, member, 1981–1984
Publications (5 representative)
- Cruzat GS. Collective bargaining for library managers. In: William Z. Nasri, ed. Legal issues for library and information managers. New York, NY: Haworth Press; 1987. p. 67–80.
- Cruzat GS. Metropolitan Detroit’s Network Detroit Medical Library Group: five year progress report . Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1968 Jul;56(3):285–91. [Cited 8 Jan 2013].
- Cruzat GS. Analysis of interlibrary loan document flow in the Biomedical Library Network, Metropolitan Detroit, January–June 1966. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Library and Biomedical Information Service Center. Report no. 33, Apr 1967.
- Cruzat GS. A review of existing bibliographic control instruments which list conferences. Detroit. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Library and Biomedical Information Service. Report no. 24, Jan 1967.
- Cruzat GS. Evaluation of the interlibrary loan service, Wayne State University Medical Library, 1963–1964. Detroit, MI: Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Library and Biomedical Information Service Center. Report no. 5, Sep 1964.
- Professor Emeritus, School of Information, University of Michigan, 1993–
- Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan, 1979–1993
- Visiting Lecturer, School of Library and Information Studies, , University of Maryland 1978
- Visiting Associate Professor, Graduate School of Library Studies, University of Hawaii, 1977
- Associate Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan, 1976–1979
- Assistant Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan, 1971–1976
- Adjunct Professor, School of Information, University of Michigan 1970
- Lecturer, School of Library Science, University of Western Ontario, 1970
- Research Librarian, Associate Director-Post-Master’s Fellowship Program, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1964–1970
- Assistant Librarian, Harper Hospital, Detroit, MI, 1960–1964
- Head of Reference, Fisk University, Nashville, TN, 1956–1960
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Byrd GD. Proceedings, Ninety-third Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Chicago, Illinois May 14–20, 1993: awards ceremony. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1994 Jan;82(1):102–31. [Cited 9 Jan 2013] .
- News items. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1961 Apr;49(2):238–46. [Cited 8 Jan 2013].
- News items. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1971 Jul;59(3):524–35. [Cited 9 Jan 2013].
- PhD, higher education/information science, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1976 [Dissertation: Collective bargaining in academic librarianship]
- MS, library science, Atlanta University, Atlanta, GA [Beta Phi Mu Honorary Society, 1954]
- BA, mathematics, Fisk University, Nashville, TN [Gabriel Award Academic Scholarship, 1948]
Contributed by James Shedlock, AHIP, FMLA, 2013