You are here
Fred W. Roper, PhD
See also Fred W. Roper's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Governance Task Force, Chair, 1995–1997
- President, President Elect, Immediate Past President, 1993–1997
- Task Force to Review the Academy of Health Information Professionals, Member, 1995–1997
- Knowledge and Skills Task Force, Chair, 1989–1992
- Board of Directors, Member, 1987–1990
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1974; Member, 1984; Chair,1997
- Ad Hoc Committee on Professional Development, Chair, 1982–1984
- Editorial Committee for the MLA News, Chair, 1974–1976
- Continuing Education Committee, Member, 1971–1974; Chair 1973–1974
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- University of North Carolina, Board of Visitors, Member, 2011–
- School of Information and Library Science, University of North Carolina, Board of Visitors, Chair, 2010
- Special Libraries Association, Board of Directors, Member
- Association for Libraries and Information Science Education, Board of Directors, Member
- American Library Association, ALA Council, Member
- American Library Association, Committee on Accreditation, Member
Honors and Awards
- Janet Doe Lectureship, 2005
- President’s Award, 2000
- Fellow, 1997
- Marcia C Noyes Award, 1998
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- John Cotton Dana Award, Special Libraries Association, 1999
- Fellow, Special Libraries Association, 1989
- Hall of Fame, Special Libraries Association
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Roper FW. The Medical Library Association’s professional development program: a look back at the way ahead. J Med Lib Assoc. 2006 Jan;94(1):8–18. [cited 12 Mar 2012].
- Roper FW, Boorkman JA. Introduction to reference sources in the health sciences. 1st ed. Metuchen, NJ: Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 1994.
- Roper FW, Mayfield MK. Surveying knowledge and skills in the health sciences: results and implications. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1993 Oct;81:396–407. [cited 25 Jan 2012].
- Roper FW. Special programs in medical library education, 1957–71: part II: analysis of the programs. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1973 Oct;61:387–95. [cited 25 Jan 2012].
- Roper FW. A computer-based serials control system for a large biomedical library. Am Doc. 1968 Apr; 19(2):151–7.
- Dean and Professor, College of Library and Information Science, University of South Carolina, 1986–2003
- Associate Dean and Associate Professor, School of Library Science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1977–1986
- Assistant Professor, School of Library Science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1971–1976
- Teaching Fellow, Graduate Library School, Indiana University, 1969–1970
- Head, Public Services Division, Library, Chicago State College, 1967–1968
- Visiting Lecturer, School of Library Science, University of North Carolina–Chapel Hill, 1966–1967, and summers 1962, 1965–1969
- Research Associate, Institute for Library Research, University of California–Los Angeles, 1966
- Biomedical Machine Methods Librarian, Biomedical Library, University of California–Los Angeles, 1963–1965
MLA published statements about the fellow
- McGowan JJ. Swimming with the sharks: perspectives on professional risk taking. J Med Lib Assoc. 2007 Jan;95(1):104–13. [cited 26 Jan 2012].
- Squires SJ, ed. Presentation of the President’s Award. Proceedings, One Hundredth Annual Meeting, Medical Library Association, Inc. Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada May 5–11, 2000. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 2001 Jan;89(1):97–125. [cited 26 Jan 2012].
- Marcia C. Noyes Award introduction. Proceedings, Ninety-eighth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Philadelphia, Pennsylvania May 23–27, 1998. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1999 Jan;87(1):111–39.
- McKenzie D. Transcript of oral interview with Fred W. Roper: 9 Nov 1998. Edited by Sue Hollander. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available. [cited 26 Jan 2012].)
- Squires SJ, Ledbetter L, eds. Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 97th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Seattle, Washington May 24-28, 1997. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1998 Jan;86(1):130–1. [cited 13 Jun 2006].
- Palmer RA. Fred W. Roper, Medical Library Association President,1994–1995. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1994 Jul;82(3):332–4. [cited 26 Jan 2012].
- PhD, Indiana University, 1971
- Internship in Medical Librarianship, Biomedical Library, University of California–Los Angeles, 1962–1963
- MS, Library Science, University of North Carolina, 1962
- AB, English, University of North Carolina, 1960
Contributed by Fred Roper; 2012