You are here
See also Frances Groen's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, President-Elect, Past President, 1988–1991
- Board of Directors, Member, 1984–1987
- National Program Committee, Member, 1979; 1980; Chair, 1981
- International Congress on Medical Librarianship:
- 8th, London, 2000, International Organizing Committee, Member
- 7th, Washington, DC, 1995, Contributed Papers,Chair, International Organizing Committee,Member
- 6th, New Delhi,India, 1990, International Organizing Committee, Member
- 5th, Tokyo, Japan, 1985, International Planning Committee, Member
- Publication Panel, Chair, 1982–1984
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1982–1983, 1991
- International Cooperation Committee, Chair, 1978–1979
- Honors and Awards Committee, Member, 1976–1977; Rittenhouse Award Subcommittee, Chair, 1976–1977
- History of Medicine Section, MLA Nominee to Nominating Committee, 1979
Honors and Awards
- 100 Most Notables
- Fellow, 1997
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- McGill University, Trenholme Director of Libraries Emeritus, 2006
- Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL), Distinguished Service to Research Librarianship, 2004
- American Library Association (ALA), Blackwell Outstanding Publication Award for "The changing nature of collection management in research libraries," 2001
- Canadian Library Association/Canadian Association of College and University Libraries (CACUL), Miles Blackwell Award for Outstanding Academic Librarian, 1996
- China Medical University, Honorary Consultant Librarian, 1991, 1994, 1996
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Leader in bilateral agreement between MLA and Canadian Health Libraries Association
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors, Statistics Editorial Board, Member
- American Library Association, Committee on Accreditation of Graduate Programs, Site Visitor (continuing)
- Association of Research Libraries, Board of Directors, Member, 2001–2004
- Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information (CISTI), Advisory Committee on Health Sciences Resource Centre, Chair
- Center for Research Libraries, Executive Committee, Member, 1998–2004
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), Section on University and Research Libraries, Officer, 2000–2004
- IFLA, Section on Biological and Medical Libraries, Member, 1991–1992; Chair, 1992–1995
- Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada, Grant Evaluator, 1999–2001; Principal Grant Recipient 2006–2008
- Canadian Association of Research Libraries (CARL), President, 1999–2001
- l'Association pour l'Avancement des Sciences et des Techniques de la Documentation (ASTED), Vice Président 1978–1980
- Association of Canadian Medical Colleges, Committee on Medical School Libraries, Chair, 1975–1977
- Canadian Association of Information Science, Board of Directors, Member, 1974–1975
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Groen FK. Access to medical knowledge: libraries, digitization, and the public good. Scarecrow Press; 2007.
- Branin J, Groen F, Thorin, S. The changing nature of collection management in research libraries. Lib Resour Tech Serv. 2000 Jan;41(1):23–32.
- Groen FK. Three who made an association: I. Sir William Osler, 1849–1919 II. George Milbry Gould, 1848–1922 III. Margaret Ridley Charlton, 1858–1931 and the founding of the Medical Library Association, Philadelphia, 1898. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jul;84(3):311–9. [cited 7 Jul 2012].
- Groen F. Provision of health information has legal and ethical aspects. Can Lib J. 1983;40(6):359–62.
- Groen F. From affiliation to bilateral arrangement: the evolution of a concept. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Jan;68(1):72–3. [cited 7 Jul 2012].
- Trenholme Dean of Libraries, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1996–2006
- Deputy Director and Associate Director of Libraries, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1990–1995
- Instructor, Graduate School of Library and Information Studies, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1975–1995.
- Life Sciences Area Librarian, Medical Librarian, McGill University, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1973–1990
- Curator, History of Medicine, Falk Library for the Health Professions, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1969–1973
- Senior Information Officer, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1967–1969
- Cataloging and Acquisitions Librarian, Lane Medical Library, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, 1962–1967
- Reference Librarian, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada, 1962
MLA published statements about the fellow
- McKenzie D. Transcript of oral interview with Frances Kathleen Groen. 1999. (Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available at http://www.mlanet.org/about/history/groen_f.html. [cited 7 Jul 2012].)
- Awards Ceremony. Proceedings, Ninety-seventh Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, Washington, May 24-28, 1997. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1998 Jan;86(1):117–43. [cited 7 Jul 2012]
- Bishop D. Frances Kathleen Groen, Medical Library Association president 1989–1990. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Jul;77(3):304–6. [cited 7 Jul 2012].
- News items. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1974 April;62(2):160–8. [cited 7 Jul 2012]
- Senior Fellow, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of California–Los Angeles
- MA, History and Philosophy of Science, University of Pittsburgh
- BLS, University of Toronto
- BA, University of Toronto, 1960
Contributed by Frances Groen, 2012