You are here
Doris Saphir Bolef
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Book Review Editor, 1985–1988.
- Legislation Committee, Member, 1979–1982.
- Ad Hoc Committee to Study the Feasibility of an Accreditation Program for Hospital Libraries or Suitable Alternatives, 1977–1978.
- Medical School Libraries Salary Survey, Cochair, 1976–1978.
- Third Survey of Health Sciences Libraries, Advisory Board, Chair, 1976–1977.
- American Library Association, Library Administration Division, Statistics Coordinating Committee, Representative, 1977–1980.
- Ad Hoc Committee on Health Sciences Libraries Surveys, Member, 1976–1978.
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1976–1977.
- Surveys and Statistics Committee, Chair, 1975–1977.
- Ad Hoc Committee to Consider a Name Change for MLA, Member, 1975–1976.
- Subcommittee on Rittenhouse Award, Member, 1972.
- Publications Committee, 1968–1970; Chair, 1969–1972.
- Midcontinental Regional Medical Library Group, Program Committee, Chair, 1974
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Board of Directors Oak Park (IL) Public Library, Member 6 years, Chair 3 years.
- Friends of the San Luis Obispo (CA) Public Library, Newsletter Editor.
- Biological Sciences Division, Special Libraries Association, Nominating Committee, 1976; Secretary/Treasurer, 1982; Chair, 1983.
- Health Sciences OCLC Users Group, Founding Member, 1975; Steering Committee, 1975–1976.
- Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, Scientific Contacts Committee, Chair, 1967–1969; Policy Committee, Chair, 1973.
- Project Show Me Libraries (1969–1970); published as Special Libraries Sketchbook, Chair, 1972.
- Conducted 10 workshops on cataloging and classification, OCLC, and small health sciences libraries.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1988
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Charter Certification
- Address on Amerindian Medicine Culture, Idaho National Endowment ofr the the Humanities Program, College of Idaho–Caldwell, 1982
- Award to attend Institute on Communications for Academic Librarians, US Office of Education, Buffalo, NY, 1969
- Special Libraries Association, Biological Sciences Division, 50 year Member Landmark, 1945–1995
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Bolef D. Cost considerations in automating the library. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1987 Apr;75(2):109–13. [cited 28 Mar 2012].
- Bolef D, Fisher JS. A health sciences libraries consortium in a rural setting. Bull Med Lib Assoc.1978 Apr;66(2):185–9. [cited 28 Mar 2012].
- Bolef D, Van Wagoner L, Brodman E. Mechanization of library procedures in the medium-sized medical library: VIII. suspension of computer catalog. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Jul;57(3):264–6. [cited 27 Mar 2012].
- Brodman E, Bolef D. Printed catalogs: retrospect and prospect. Spec Lib. 1968 Dec;68:783–8.
- Bolef D. An orientation program for student nurses. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1950 Jan;3(1):1–8. [cited 27 Mar 2012].
- Director, Library, Rush Medical College, Chicago, IL, 1978–1988
- Professor and Assistant Dean for Learning Resources, East Tennessee State University College of Medicine–Johnson City, 1974–1978
- Assistant Librarian for Technical Services, School of Medicine Library, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1969–1974
- Deputy Librarian, School of Medicine Library, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1967–1969
- Catalog Librarian, School of Medicine Library, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 1963–1967
- Librarian, Library of Rush University, Chicago, IL, 1962–1963
- Librarian, Bellevue Hospital Schools of Nursing, New York, NY, 1944–1949
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Weaver CG, ed. Awards. Proceedings, eighty-eighth annual meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., New Orleans, Louisiana May 20–26, 1988. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Jan;77(1):106–29. [cited 28 Mar 2012].
- MS, Library Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1951
- BS, Library Science, Drexel Institute, Philadelphia, PA, 1945
- BS, Education, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, 1943
Contributed by Doris Saphir Bolef; 2012