You are here
Charles W. Sargent, PhD
See Charles W. Sargent's Oral History Summary
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President-Elect, President, Past President, 1980–1983
- Committee on Committees, Chair, 1980–1981
- Nominating Committee, Chair, 1980
- Continuing Education Committee, Member, 1975–1979
- Finance Committee, Member, 1972–1975
- Central Office Committee, Member, 1972–1974
- Board of Directors, Member, 1972–1975
- Parliamentarian (Bylaws Committee), 1971–1974
- South Central Chapter (Charter Member): President, 1977–1978; Board of Directors, Member; Annual Meeting, Chair, Lubbock, Texas, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1990
- MLA Most Notables
- Certification of Medical Librarianship #3, March 8, 1968
- Charles W. Sargent Graduate Nursing Award, School of Nursing, Texas Tech University, Health Sciences Center–Lubbock, 1990
- South Central Chapter Distinguished Service Award, 1988
- Phi Beta Kappa, Phi Alpha Theta, and Beta Phi Mu
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Sargent CW. South Central Chapter Medical Library Association: a history. 1998.
- Sargent CW. Presidential address: survival. Proceedings, Eighty-second Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Anaheim, California June 11–17, 1982. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1983 Jan;71(1):101–3. [cited 8 Jun 2012].
- Sargent CW, Cyelio K. Development and organization of a health science library. Greenwich, CT: JAI Press; 1980. (Foundations in Library and Information Science. volume 9.).
- Sargent CW. Zero-base budgeting and the library. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1978 Jan;66(1):31–5. [cited 8 Jun 2012].
- Sargent CW, Lindberg DA. Computer-based union catalog project for the University of Missouri. Special Lib. 1972 Mar;63(3):121–9.
- Consultant: Puerto Rico, Illinois, Texas A&M, Kansas City, Missouri, and so on
- Professor Emeritus, School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center–Lubbock, 1990–
- Director of Libraries and Chair, Health Communications Department, School of Medicine, Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center–Lubbock, 1972–1990
- Assistant Director, Medical Computer Center; Associate Professor, Department of Community Health and Medical Practice; Chair and Professor, Information Science Department, University of Missouri–Columbia, 1968–1972
- Deputy Director, Medical Library, and Assistant Professor, University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 1966–1968
- Information Scientist, Senior Staff, Department of Aerospace and Bioastronautics, Lovelace Clinic, Albuquerque, NM, 1962–1966
- Chief, Cataloging Department, Sandia Corporation Library, Albuquerque, NM, 1954–1961
- Curator of the Kansas Historical Collections and University Archivist, University of Kansas–Lawrence, 1953–1954
- Assistant Manuscript Cataloger, William L. Clements Library, University of Michigan–Ann Arbor, 1952–1953
- Assistant Circulation Librarian, Michigan State University–Ann Arbor, 1949–1951
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, Ninetieth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Detroit, Michigan May 18–24, 1990. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1991 Jan 79(1):112–44. [cited 12 Jun 2012].
- Gilmer A. Transcript of oral interview with Charles W Sargent: 28 Feb 1985.(Print copies of the oral history can be found through the Regional Medical Libraries. An oral history summary and photo are available. [cited 8 Jun 2012].)
- Key JD. Charles W. Sargent, President, Medical Library Association, 1981/82. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1981 Jul;69(3):336–7. [cited 8 Jun 2012].
- PhD, Economic History, University of New Mexico, 1964
- MALS, School of Library Science, University of Michigan, 1953
- MA, History, Michigan State University, 1951
- BA, History, Michigan State University, 1951
Contributed by Charles Sargent, 2012