You are here
Making Your Library Promotion Pop! Practical Design Principles and Tools for the Non-Designer
This webinar has occurred, but you can view an on-demand recording on your PC or mobile device.
Program Goal and Objectives
Much of the work librarians do involves creating flyers, displays, handouts, websites, and other designs that look good and convey helpful information. Very few librarians have any kind of formal design training and often rely on personal aesthetic preferences along with the opinions and ideas of colleagues. The goal of this program is to empower librarians with basic principles, tools, and processes to begin to improve designs in their own libraries.
- Learn about and view examples of basic design principles
- Identify processes used to create designs
- Explore practical design tools
- Demonstrate examples of successful design
- Practice revising a handout using the information provided in the webinar
- Discuss the importance of consistency in design across platforms
- Recommend favorite design resources
- Individuals and sites can register to view the recorded webinar
- Length: 1.5 hour webinar + homework assignment
- Technical information: You will receive a link to the recorded program and the participant's manual in your confirmation email.
- Individuals: $49 (nonmembers, $75)
- Sites (for unlimited viewers at one location): $199 (nonmembers, $299)
Register, participate, and earn 3 MLA continuing education (CE) contact hours.
April Aultman Becker obtained her bachelor of arts degree in English and history from Stephen F. Austin State University and her master's degree in library and information science from the University of North Texas in 2005. In her past life, Becker has been a high school English teacher and an elementary, high school, and community college librarian. In 2011, she joined the Research Medical Library at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center as the education coordinator, where she provides leadership, planning, and coordination for all education programs and teaches workshops for faculty, staff, and students. Because she is passionate about good design and often finds herself creating graphics to promote the library, Becker co-created the website Librarian Design Share (www.librariandesignshare.org) with Veronica Arellano Douglas from Saint Mary's College to have a repository of shared design work from libraries everywhere so that librarians can gain inspiration from the work of others. She is professionally active in the Texas Library Association (TLA), Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL), and South Central Chapter (SCC) of MLA.
For more information or questions contact Debra Cavanaugh, 312.419.9094 x32.
Event Dates:Tuesday, March 18, 2014 - Tuesday, December 30, 2014
Event Sponsor / Organizer:MLA
Event Venue / Type:on-demand / recorded
Event Category / Format:webinar / webcast
Event Competency Specialization:health sciences resource management
Event Experience Level:beginning plus
Enable Disable Web Reg:Yes