Self-Directed Learning Program
A Short Selective Bibliography
Prepared by Maggie Demchuk
1. Boyd EM. Contract learning. Physical Therapy 1979 Mar;59(3):278-281.
2. Dixon EA. Characteristics of registered nurses' self-directed learning projects for professional development. J Professional Nursing 1993 Mar/Apr;9(2):89-94.
3. Eagleton B. Contract learning: an effective teaching-learning strategy. Focus on Critical Care 1994 Dec;11(6):18-23.
4. Har JK. Self-directed learning program and the library: supporting instructors in development of multimedia instructional programs. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1994 Oct;82(4):434-436.
5. Knowles MS. The adult learner: a neglected species. 4th ed. Houston: Gulf Publishing, 1990.
6. Knowles MS. Using learning contracts: practical approaches to individualizing and structuring learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 1986.
7. Knowles MS. Understanding the adult learner. In: Homer, Esther EM, eds. Continuing education: issues and challenges. Papers from the World Conference on Continuing Education for the Library and Information Science Professions; 1985 Aug 13-16; New York: K.G. Saur, 1985. p.14-20.
8. Knowles MS. Self-directed learning: a guide for learners and teachers. Chicago: Follett, 1975.
9. Krieder MC, Barry M. Clinical ladder development: implementing contract learning. J Continuing Education in Nursing 1993 Jul/Aug;24(4):166-169.
10. Manning PR, et al. A method of self-directed learning in continuing medical education with implications for recertification. Ann Intern Med 1987 Dec; 107(6):909-913.
11. Negotiated study and learning contracts. Nursing Times 1994 Mar 2;90(9):ii-viii.
Return to self-directed learning index
Medical Library Association
Last Updated: 2007 July 05