You are here
Earn CE and Academy Credit by Reading Journal Articles
MLA's Independent Reading Program (IRP) allows members to read journal articles from professional literature, complete an article analysis application, and receive MLA CE contact hours. Articles approved for contact hours are marked with the IRP icon on the JMLA table of contents, and the article, and listed on MLANET. Participants may also read an article from a self-selected professional journal article. Self-selected professional journal articles must fall within one or more of the professional competencies from MLA's educational policy statement, Competencies for Lifelong Learning and Professional Success.
Participants will receive 1 MLA CE contact hour for every article completed for the special member fee of $15.00.
Program Goals and Objectives
To allow MLA members and other health professionals the opportunity to:
- Read professional literature and receive MLA CE contact hours
- Receive MLA CE contact hours without leaving their home (for less mobile members)
- Maintain Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) membership for those who cannot regularly attend MLA annual meetings or other CE opportunities
- Obtain points to help a member gain a new academy level or keep current membership
Who Can Participate?
- all MLA members
- other library professionals
- anyone who wants to read librarian literature and gain MLA CE contact hours
MLA CE Contact Hours
MLA members who read preselected IRP articles or a self-selected professional journal article and complete the IRP article analysis application will receive one MLA CE contact hour for each article read.
Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP)
A maximum of 3 contact hours per year from the IRP can be applied towards a member's AHIP application or renewal. This comes to a total of no more than 15 contact hours per five-year credentialing period. For more information on AHIP, go to Academy of Health Information Professionals.
How to Participate
- Read a preselected article from the Journal of the Medical Library Association or a self-selected professional journal article.
- Complete the IRP article analysis application
- MLANET online registration option: complete the application and pay online. (Under construction)
- Mail or fax option: download and print the Article Analysis Application and mail/fax with payment
- MLA will send the participant an email receipt of application
- Upon approval of application, MLA will send participant a MLA CE certificate.
For more information, contact Debra Cavanaugh, 312.419.9094 x32.