MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Continuing Education Committee, Chair, 1981–1983
- Search Committee for MLA Director of Education, Member, 1982; 1977–1978
- Study Group on MLA's Role in the Educational Process for Health Science Librarians, Member, 1980–1981
- Janet Doe Lectureship Subcommittee, Chair, 1981–1983
- Local Arrangements Committee, Annual Meeting, Member, 1978
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1977
- Ad Hoc Committee to Develop a New Certification Code, Cochair, 1971–1972
- American Library Association Ad Hoc Committee on Curriculum, Representative1972
- Committee on Curriculum, Chair, 1968–1970
- CE 26 Teaching Skills for Library Educators, Developer
- Southern Chapter, Chapter Council Alternate Representative, 1982–1983
Honors and Awards
- 100 Most Notables, 1998
- Fellow, 1985
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Jane Doe Lecture, 1978;Books and other endangered species: an inquiry into the values of medical librarianship. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1978 Oct;66(4):381–89. [cited 28 Nov 2012]
- Certification, Grade III, 1970
- University of South Carolina, School of Librarianship, Martha Jane Zachert Scholarship
- South East Library Association, Honorary Member, 1988
- Special Libraries Association, South Carolina Chapter, Martha Jane Zachert Scholarship established 1987
- Special Libraries Association, Hall of Fame, 1985
- Special Libraries Association, Special Citation, 1977
- Beta Phi Mu, Founder of South Carolina Beta Omega Chapter; Chapter President 1974–1975
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Mentor and teacher to many medical librarians
- British Library, Visiting Fellow, 1980
- Journal of Library Administration, Consultant Editor, 1979–1986
- Southern Regional Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, Consultant, 1976–1977
- National Library Medicine, Consultant, 1977
- Journal of Library History, Associate Editor, 1966–1971, 1973–1976; Managing Editor, 1971–1973
- Special Libraries Association, Florida Chapter, President
- American Printing History Association, member
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Zachert, MJ. Fine printing in Georgia, 1950’s–1990, Six prize-winning private presses. Press of the Nightowl. 1994.
- Zachert MJ. Educational services in health sciences libraries: an analysis of the periodical literature, 1975–1986. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1987 Jul;75(3):234–8. [cited 28 Nov 2012].
- Zachert MJ, Williams RV. Market measures for information services. Spec Lib. 1986 Spr;77(2):61–70.
- Zachert MJK. Simulation teaching of library administration. Bowker; 1975
- Zachert MJK. Preparation for medical librarianship: status and potential. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1972 Apr;60(2):301–9. [cited 28 Nov 2012].
- Professor, College of Librarianship, University South Carolina–Columbia, 1973–1974, 1978–1984
- Professor, Library School, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1973–1978
- Associate Professor, School of Library Science, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1963–1978
- Instructor, Georgia State College, 1962–1963
- Instructor, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, Summers 1955–1959, 1956–1957, 1959–1960
- Head Librarian, H. Custer Naylor Library, and Professor, History of Pharmacy, Southern College of Pharmacy, Mercer University, Atlanta, GA, 1952–1963
- School librarian, DeKalb (Georgia) County Schools, 1950–1952
- Head Librarian, Wood Research Institute, Atlanta, 1947
- Assistant, Enoch Pratt Free Library, Baltimore, 1941–1946
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Dimitroff A. Educational services in health sciences libraries: a content analysis of the literature, 1987–1994. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1995 Oct;83(4):420–4. [cited 28 Nov 2012].
- Honors and awards. Proceedings, Eighty-fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., New York, New York, May 24–30, 1985. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1986 Jan;74(1):67–93. [cited 28 Nov 2012].
- DLS, Library Science, Columbia University, New York, NY, 1968 [Thesis: "Objectives and Patterns in Undergraduate Library Science Education"]
- MLS, Library Science, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 1953
- AB, Lebanon Valley College, Annville, PA, 1941
Contributed by Diane McKenzie