Honors and Awards
- Honorary Membership, 1985
Other Accomplishments & Activities (selected)
- Had a successful career as one of the few women in the uppermost ranks of medical administration in the United States
- Held advisory role with the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, the National Board of Medical Examiners, the John E. Fogarty International Center, and the Robert Wood Johnson Health Policy Fellowships
- Developed an extramural program to build and equip libraries and to offer training and research support in the information sciences
- Initiated the Veterans Administration Clinical Investigator Program
Publications (5 representative)
- Sutnick AI, Stillman PL, Norcini JJ, Friedman M, Regan MB, Williams RG, Kachur EK, Haggerty MA, Wilson MP; Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates. ECFMG assessment of clinical competence of graduates of foreign medical schools. JAMA. 1993 Sep 1;270(9):1041–5.
- Wilson MP. Leadership and management in academic medicine. (Association of American Medical Colleges Series in Academic Medicine.) San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 1984.
- Smythe CM, Jones AB, Wilson MP. Tenure in medical schools in the 1980s. J Med Educ. 1982 May; 57(5):349–60
- Keyes JA, Wilson MP, Becker J. The future of medical education: forecast of the Council of Deans. J Med Educ. 1975 Apr; 50(4):319–27.
- Wilson MP. The status of women in medicine: background data. J Am Med Women Assoc. 1981 Feb; 36(2):62–79
- President and Chief Executive Officer, Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates, Philadelphia, PA, 1988–1995
- Senior Associate Dean, School of Medicine, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1981–1986
- Vice Dean, School of Medicine, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1986–1988
- Director, Department of Institutional Development, Association of American Medical Colleges, 1970–1981
- Associate Director, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1964–1970
- Extramural Programs at the National Institute of Arthritis and Metabolic Diseases, National Institutes of Health (NIH), 1964–1970
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Grix LA, ed. Proceedings, Eighty-fourth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Denver, Colorado May 25–31, 1984. Honors and Awards. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1985 Jan;73(1):107.
- Bunting A. The nation’s health information network: history of the Regional Medical Library Program, 1965–1985. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1987 Jul;75(3 supp):1–62.
- Residency in clinical pathology
- Residency in pediatrics, Children’s Hospital of the University of Pittsburgh
- Intern, University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Hospitals
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 1949
- BA, chemistry and biology, Bryn Mawr College, 1945
Submitted by Diane McKenzie, FMLA