MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Bylaws Committee, Chair, 1971–1972
- Reprinting Committee of the American Library Association Resources and Technical Services Division, MLA Representative, 1965–1966
Honors and Awards
- 100 Most Notables, 1998
- Fellow, 1979
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1978
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- National Library of Medicine (NLM), Regents' Award for Scholarship or Technical Achievement, 1977
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Oversaw massive restructuring and modernization of the NLM Classification
- Undertook major efforts to make NLM catalog file conform fully to Anglo-American cataloging rules
- American Library Association, Cataloging and Classification Section, Resources and Technical Services Division, Member-at-Large, 1967
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Wiggins EV. Problems in medical cataloging and classification: syllabus. Medical Library Association Committee on Continuing Education; 1975.
- Wiggins EV. National Library of Medicine classification. Lib Resour Tech Serv. 1972;16(2):267.
- Wiggins EV. The NLM Current Catalog. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1969 Jan; 57(1):36–40. [cited 21 Sep 2012].
- Wiggins EV. National Library of Medicine. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science. volume 19. NY: M Dekker; 1968. p. 123–7.
- Weiss IJ, Wiggins EV. Computer-aided centralized cataloging at the National Library of Medicine. Lib Resour Tech Serv. 1967 Winter;11(1):83–96.
Head, Cataloging Section, Technical Services Division, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD
MLA published statements about the fellow
Awards presentation. Proceedings, Seventy-ninth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Honolulu, Hawaii, June 2–9, 1979. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Jan;68(1):93–189. [cited 19 Sep 2012]
Eastern Kentucky State Teachers’ College [Eastern Kentucky University]–Richmond, 1938
Contributed by Diane McKenzie, 2012