The Technology in Education Caucus is pleased to announce the following changes, updates, and the recruiting timeline for the My Favorite Tool session during MLA ’20. In 2019, the contestant slots filled up in less than twenty-four hours!
Recruitment Timeline Changes
Contestant Sign-Up Opens: January 8 at 12:30 p.m., eastern time, 20 available spots
- We encourage you to have your top three tools ready and consult the 2018 and 2019 tools list to be sure your tool is not on either list! 2020 contestants will get an email from Margaret Hoogland shortly after submission.
Moderator Applications Open: January 22 at 12:30 p.m. eastern time
- We will take five moderators. Moderators will write a maximum of 200 words describing why they are qualified and why they want to participate as a My Favorite Tool moderator.
- After selecting the moderators, each one will be assigned a “tool league” and draft appropriate questions to ask contestants after the three-minute presentations. The My Favorite Tool Think Tank will review the questions. Once approved, contestants will see the questions for the appropriate tool league.
Session Timeline Changes
- We will have presentations by fifteen contestants. Each will last three minutes—yes, we are sticklers about time! They will not provide live demonstrations of the tools, and we will not provide virtual contestant or virtual attendance options.
- The audience, moderators, and contestants will vote using the same rubric.
- Moderated tool league discussions give contestants, moderators, and audience members a chance to participate in a more in-depth conversation about the tool they selected. If time allows, audience members may ask follow-up questions of contestants.
- Prize distribution will occur after tallying the votes. The session moderator will award three prizes to the three tools chosen by the My Favorite Tool session participants. Contestants must stay for the entire session to be eligible for prizes.
If you have any questions about the recruitment timeline or procedures, please email Margaret Hoogland.