MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Board of Directors, Member, 1978–1981
- CE 13, Instructor, 1973–1977
- Nominating Committee, Elected Member, 1973
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter, Chair, 1975–1976
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter, Vice-Chair, 1974–1975
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1988
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter, Honorary Life Membership, 1988
- Philadelphia Regional Chapter, Chapter Achievement Award, 1988
- Nominee for MLA President, 1981
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1974
- Who’s Who in America, 1994
- Special Libraries Association, Philadelphia Chapter, Achievement Award, 1988
- American Medical Writers Association, Delaware Valley Chapter, President, 1986–1987
- Special Libraries Association, Philadelphia Chapter, President, 1979–1980
- Special Libraries Association, Biological Sciences Division, Chair, 1976–1977
- Connecticut Association of Health Sciences Libraries, Honorary Life Member, 1974
- American Library Association, Research Committee, Chairman, 1971–1973
- Special Libraries Association, Connecticut Valley Chapter, Director-at-Large, 1971–1972
- CVC (Connecticut Valley Chapter) Bulletin, Editor, 1970–1972
- Beta Phi Mu
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Timour JA. Academic health sciences libraries, then and now. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1984 Apr;72(2):211–3.
- Cohen B, Timour JA. A clinical program for in-service nurses: a preliminary report. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1980 Jul;68(3):293–4.
- Timour JA. Use of selected abstracting and indexing journals in biomedical resource libraries. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1979 Jul;67(3):330–3.
- Koughan WP, Timour JA. Are hospital libraries meeting physicians’ information needs? Spec Lib. 1973 May/Jun;64(5/6):222–7.
- Timour JA. Selected lists of journals for the small medical library: a comparative analysis. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1971 Jan;59(1):87–93.
- University Librarian, Scott Memorial Library, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA, 1975–1987
- Adjunct Professor of Library Science, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 1976–1978
- Director, Mid-Eastern Regional Medical Library Service, College of Physicians of Philadelphia, Philadelphia, PA, 1973–1975
- Library Services Director, Connecticut Regional Medical Program, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1969–1973
- Lecturer (Library Science), South Connecticut State College, New Haven, CT, 1970–1971
- Training Officer and MEDLARS Liaison Officer, National Library of Medicine, Bethesda, MD, 1966–1969
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Fulton JH. John Arnold Timour, 1926–2004 [obituary]. J Med Lib Assoc. 2005 Apr;93(2):299–300.
- Presentation of Awards. Proceedings, 88th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., New Orleans, LA, May 20–26, 1988. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Jan;77(1):117.
- BA, English literature and mathematics, Miami University of Ohio, 1951
- MA, Personnel Management, George Washington University, 1960
- MLS, Library Science, University of Maryland, 1969
(Birth 1926; Death 2004)
Compiled by June Fulton