MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, chair, 2017–2018
- Nominating Committee, member, 2016–2017
- Research Task Force, chair, 2013–2015
- Continuing Education Committee, chair, 2012–2013
- Molecular Biology and Genomics SIG, convener, 1999–2001
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2019
- Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award, 2014
- MLA Southern Chapter Research Awards, 2nd place (2011), 3rd place (2011, 2006)
- Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship, 2007
- David A. Kronick Traveling Fellowship, 2007
- Estelle Brodman Academic Medical Librarian of the Year Award, 2005
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 2005–
- International Educator of the Year, Smathers Libraries, University of Florida, 2018
- Excellence in Outreach Award, Smathers Libraries, University of Florida, 2015
- Faculty Enhancement Opportunity ($44,568), University of Florida, 2013
- Distinguished Member Award, Special Libraries Association’s Biomedical and Life Sciences Division, 2005
- Top 20 Library Instructional Paper of the Year, American Library Association’s Library Instructional Round Table, 2003
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Madagascar from A to Z: Madagasikara, A ka hattramin’ny Z (children’s book), editor and co-developer; distributed 400 copies to libraries, schools, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), and children in Madagascar, 2016–2018
- National Library of Medicine: Special Emphasis Grants Panel, member, 2018, 2015, 2010; Cooperative Agreements Panel, member, 2015
- Integrated program on Madagascar at the University of Florida (UF), partnering with the Department of Biology, UF International Center, and Honors Program, co-developer and instructor; courses include: UF in Madagascar Study Abroad; Global Biodiversity and Culture: Integrating Conservation and Human Well-Being; Thank You Madagascar: The Conservation Diaries of Alison Jolly; and Madagascar: The 8th Continent: Life, Death and Discovery in a Lost World, 2016–
- Sex and Gender Differences/Women’s Health Outreach Project, funded by the National Library of Medicine, $50,000 each year, 2014, 2013
- Information Careers in the Biosciences Seminar, Beckman Research Institute of the City of Hope (invited presentation), bioinformatics librarian, 2013
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Leadership Fellow, 2012–2013
- Developing an Infrastructure for Information Support for Clinical and Translational Researchers, funded by the National Networks of Libraries of Medicine, $20,000, 2011–2012
- Looking Forward: A Critical Role for the Library in Research, Collaboration, and Assessment, invited speaker and participant, Banbury Conference on Envisioning the Future of Science Libraries at Academic Research Institutions, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, 2012
- Meeting the Information Needs of Researchers and Students, invited presentation: bioinformatics librarian, E-Science Symposium, University of Massachusetts and New England Area Librarian Association, 2009
- Biomedical Library and Informatics Research Committee, National Library of Medicine, invited reviewer and member, 2008–2011
- National Center for Biotechnology Information’s (NCBI’s) Introduction to Molecular Biology Information Resources, instructor, 2003–2007; NCBI Advanced Workshop for Bioinformatics Information Specialists (NAWBIS), 2002–2007
- National Library of Medicine, Planning Panel on NLM Support for Genomic Science in the 21st Century, member, 2005–2006
- Informationist Conference, National Library of Medicine, invited speaker: bioinformationist, 2002
Publications (5 representative)
- Tennant MR. Outreach in health science libraries. In MS Wood, ed. Health sciences librarianship. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield; p. 226–51. (Invited chapter).
- Tennant MR, Edwards M, Miyamoto MM. Redesigning a library-based genetics class research project through instructional theory and authentic experience. J Med Libr Assoc. 2012 Apr;100(2):90– DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.2.006.
- Tennant MR, Cataldo TT, Sherwill-Navarro P, Jesano R. Evaluation of a liaison librarian program: client and liaison perspectives. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Oct;94(4):402–9, e201–e20 [cited 21 Jul 2019].
- Tennant MR, Miyamoto MM. The role of medical libraries in undergraduate education: a case study in genetics. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002 Apr; 90(2):180– [cited 21 Jul 2019].
- Tennant MR, Butson LC, Rezeau ME, Tucker P, Boyle M, Clayton G. Customizing for clients: developing a library liaison program from need to plan. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 2001 Jan; 89(1):8– [cited 21 Jul 2019].
- University Librarian (tenured), Health Science Center Libraries, and Program Director, Academic Research Consulting and Services (ARCS), University of Florida–Gainesville, July 2018–
- Interim Director and Head of Biomedical and Health Information Services, Health Science Center Libraries, University of Florida–Gainesville, 2016–2018
- Associate Director and Head of Biomedical and Health Information Services, Health Science Center Libraries, University of Florida–Gainesville, 2009–2018
- Bioinformatics Librarian, University of Florida–Gainesville, 2006–2014
- Assistant University Librarian (untenured) and Reference, Education, and Information Management Librarian, Health Science Center Libraries, University of Florida–Gainesville, 1996–2002
- Visiting Instructor Librarian (untenured) and Reference, Education, and Information Management Librarian, Health Science Center Libraries, University of Florida–Gainesville, 1995–1996
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. 2019 MLA Fellows. MLAConnect [Internet]. 23 May 2019 [cited 21 Jul 2019]. <https://www.mlanet.org/blog/2019-mla-fellows>.
- Akers KG. Thank you to the Journal of the Medical Library Association reviewers in 2018. J Med Libr Assoc. 2019 Apr;107(2):125–8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2019.658.
- Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 116th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc, Toronto, ON, Canada May 13–18, 2016: Election results. J Med Libr Assoc. 2017 Jan;105(1):E9. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2017.123.
- Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 114th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc, Chicago, IL: Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award. J Med Libr Assoc. 2015 Jan;103(1):E8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.103.1.E1.
- Lynch FH, Rieke JL, eds. Proceedings, 107th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Philadelphia, PA May 18–23, 2007: David A. Kronick Traveling Fellowship and Donald A. B. Lindberg Research Fellowship. J Med Libr Assoc. 2008 Jan;96(1):E7. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1559-9439.96.1.E1.
- Lynch FH, Rieke JL, eds. Proceedings, 106th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 Jan;95(1):E31.
- Fulda PO, Satterthwaite RK, eds. Proceedings, 105th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., San Antonio, Texas May 14–19, 2005: Estelle Brodman Award for the Academic Medical Librarian of the Year. J Med Libr Assoc. 2006 Jan;94(1):E6. [cited 21 Jul 2019].
- Shipman JP, Cunningham DJ, Holst R, Watson LA. The Informationist Conference: report. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002 Oct; 90(4):458–64. [cited 21 Jul 2019].
- Squires SJ, ed. Proceedings, 101st Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Orlando, Florida May 25–30, 2001. J Med Libr Assoc. 2002 Jan;90(1):127–56.
- MLIS, library and information science, University of California–Los Angeles, 1994
- PhD, biology, Wayne State University, Detroit, MI, 1991
- BS, biological sciences, University of Southern California–Los Angeles, 1982
Contributed by Michele R. Tennant