Joan Stoddart, AHIP
Year Fellowship Conferred: 2014
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Fellows and Honorary Members Jury, member, 2008
- Oral History Committee, chair 2006–2007
- Murray Gottlieb Prize Jury, 2003–2005
- National Program Committee, 2002 Annual Meeting, member, 2000–2002
- Chapter Council, alternate, 1988–1990
- Credentialing Committee, member, 1996–2000
- Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award Jury, member, 1988–1990
- Membership Committee, chair, 1985
- History of the Health Sciences Section, Section Council representative, 2013–2015; chair/past chair 2011–2015; incoming chair/Programming Planning Committee, 2009–2011; Section Council representative, 2005–2007
- Library Research Section, Continuing Education Committee liaison, 1988–1991
- Midcontinental Chapter, Annual Meeting Conference Committee, member, 2013; Annual Meeting Planning Committee, cochair, 2005; Finance Committee, chair, 2005; Nominating Committee, chair, 1982–1983, 1998–1999, and 2004; Annual Meeting, chair, 1996; Chapter Executive Committee, member, 1985–1990; chapter chair, 1986–1987; Annual Meeting Steering Committee, cochair, 1990; Honors and Awards Committee, chair, 1991–1992, 2011; Strategic Planning Committee, 1993–1994
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2014
- Continuing Education Award, 1994
- Certificate of Health Sciences Librarianship, 1973–1990
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1990–
- Emeritus faculty status, University of Utah, 2014
- Distinguished Librarian Award, Utah Library Association, 2014
- Midcontinental Chapter of MLA most Innovative Paper Award, 2012 (for poster: “Reverse Information Specialist in Context? Bringing Users Back into the Library by Creating Research and Innovation Centers and Customizing Support and Tools”)
- Outstanding Achievement Award, Midcontinental Chapter, 1994
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Active interest in history and making history relevant to librarians and patrons.
- Known for ability to successfully collaborate in all situations.
- National Library of Medicine, Midcontinental Region, interim director, 2007–2008; Regional Advisory Committee, member, 1991–1996; Resource Library Coordinators, chair, 1991–1996
- University of Utah, Eccles Library. Library Redesign/2, chair, 2008; Retention, Promotion, Tenure Committee, chair, 1996–2002, 2004, 2010; Library Redesign Steering Committee, chair, 1995–96
- University of Utah, Campus Planning Advisory Committee, chair, 2004–2006;
- Annuities and Salaries Committee, chair, 1998; Academic Senate, member, 1993–1996;
- Athletics Board, Women’s Subcommittee, chair, 1984
- Utah Health Science Library Consortium, chair, 1984, 1991
- Utah Library Association, Health Round Table, chair, 2007–2008; Library Administration and Management Round Table, chair, 1991–1992; Academic Section, chair, 1990–1991; Research Committee, chair, 1987–1988
- Utah State Library Division, Library Services and Construction Act Advisory Committee, chair, 1995
- Snowbird Ski Race Association, Board of Directors 1992–1995, president, 1994–1995
Publications (5 representative)
- Workman TE, Stoddart JM. Rethinking information delivery: using a natural language processing application for point-of-care data discovery. J Med Lib Assoc. 2012 Apr;100(2):113–20 [cited 3 Jun 2014]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.100.2.009.
- Stoddart JM, McCloskey K. Specialized types of reference services. In: Wood MS, ed. Reference and information services in health sciences libraries. Chicago, IL: Medical Library Association and Scarecrow Press; 1994. pp. 245–97. (Current practice in health sciences librarianship, v.1.)
- Dalrymple PW, Dahlen KH, Stoddart J. Imperatives for continuing research education: results of a Medical Library Association survey. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1992 Jul;80(3):213–8 [cited 3 Jun 2014].
- Special Projects Librarian, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, 2012–; Deputy Director, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, 1995–2013; Interim Director, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library and Midcontinental Region of the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, 2007–2008; Interim Assistant Director for Public Services, Marriott Library, 2003; Acting Director, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, 1996–1997; Assistant Director, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, 1986–1995; Clinical Medical Librarian, Hope Fox Eccles Clinical Library, 1982–1985; Reference Librarian, Spencer S. Eccles Health Sciences Library, 1979–1982; University of Utah–Salt Lake City
- Library Manager, EIMCO PMD, Salt Lake City, Utah, 1977–1978
- Reference Librarian, Medical Center Library, University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, OH, 1977
- Library Manager, Inhalation Toxicology Research Institute, Albuquerque, NM, 1973–1977
MLA published statements about the fellow
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News. 2014 May;54(5)13, 29. <https://www.mlanet.org/members/mla_news/pastissue.html>.
- Squires SJ, ed. Proceedings, Ninety-Fourth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. San Antonio, Texas May 13–19, 1994. Presentation of awards. Bull Med Lib Assoc. Jan 1995;83(1):12 [cited 4 Jun 2014].
- Master of arts in library science, Rosary College (Dominican University) Graduate School, River Forest, IL, 1972
- Bachelor of arts, history, University of Wisconsin–Madison, 1970