MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Finance Committee, member, 2020–2023
- Community Transition Team, member, 2018–2020
- Information Management Hub, chair; Policies Working Group, member
- Communities Strategic Goal Task Force, member, 2018–2019
- Nominating Committee, cochair, 2017–2018; member, 2007
- Iimmediate past president, 2017–2018; president, 2016–2017; president-elect, 2015–2016
- Joint MLA/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries (AAHSL) Legislative Task Force, member, 2016–2017
- Board of Directors, member, 2014–2015; Executive Committee, member, 2015–2018
- Section Council, member, 2013–2015
- 2012 National Program Committee, chair, 2009–2012
- 2009 National Program Committee, member, 2007–2009
- Leadership and Management Section: past chair, 2013–2014, chair, 2012–2013, chair elect, 2011–2012; Nominating Committee, chair, 2013–2014; Section Council, representative, 2013–2015; Program Committee, chair, 2011–2012; secretary, 2008–2010; Membership Committee, chair, 1997–1998
- MLA Student Discussion List, coordinator, 1998–2008
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, member, 1993–1996
- MLA News, Chapter News editor, 2004–2006
- Chapter Council, representative 2002–2004; Continuing Education Committee, member, 2002–2004; Communications Committee, chair, 2004
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter: 2011 Annual Meeting, Richmond, VA, Planning Committee, member; 2007 Annual Meeting, Baltimore, MD, Planning Committee, Publicity and Printing Subcommittee, chair, 2006–2007
- South Central Chapter: Chapter Council, representative, 2002–2004; Nominating Committee, chair, 2000–2001; past president, 2000–2001, president, 1999–2000, president elect, 1998–1999; Finance Committee, chair, 2000–2001; MLA Membership Committee, representative 1995–1997; Membership Committee, chair, 1994–1995; Bylaws Committee, chair, 1987–1988; Local Arrangements Committee, member, 1987–1988; cochair, 1999–2000
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, MLA, 2020
- President’s Awards for the Communities Transition Team (2018–2020), Communities Strategic Task Force (2017–2019), and Strategic Priorities Task Force (2015–2016), 2020
- Research Advancement in Health Sciences Librarianship Award for the Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, 2020
- Distinguished Service Award, South Central Chapter of MLA, 2004
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member, 1996–2021; Senior Member, 1991–1996
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Leadership Fellow, 2005–2006
- National Library of Medicine/Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries, Leadership Fellows Program, Mentor, 2017–2018
- Thomas Ira Cooke Award for Excellence in Political Science, University of Texas–El Paso, 1990
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries: member, 2009–present; Future Leadership Committee, member, 2013–2016 and 2017–2020; Current Issues Editorial Team, member, 2011–2013; Charting the Future Task Force, member, 2009–2010
- Association of American Medical Colleges: member, 2009–; Group on Information Resources, Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine representative, 2009–
- National Library of Medicine: Program Committee: Science, Society, and the Legacy of Donald AB Lindberg, MD: A National Library of Medicine Scientific Symposium, 2020
- New England Journal of Medicine, Library Advisory Board, member, 2013–2015
- Virginia Commonwealth University Women’s Health Institute, Professional Advisory Committee, member, 2009–
- Visiting Nurse Association of El Paso, member, 2000–2003; Board Management Committee, member; Personnel Committee, member; Planning Committee, member; Professional Advisory Committee, member
- El Paso Cancer Consortium, Consumer Health Library, El Paso, Texas, consultant, 1999
- Providence Memorial Hospital Library, El Paso, Texas, consultant, 1998–1999; 1992
- Texas Rural Health Association, member, 1984–2004
Publications (5 representative)
- Knott TL. Staff empowerment. In: Norton MJ, Rupp N, eds. Transforming medical library staff for the twenty-first century. Medical Library Association Books Series. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield; 2017. p. 15–28.
- Henderson ME, Knott TL. Starting a research data management program based in a university library. Med Ref Serv Q. 2015;34(1):475–9.
- Knott TL. Leadership development: positioning yourself for the next step [leadership and management]. MLA News. 2012 Oct;52(9):6.
- Knott TL, Scott UK. New perspectives in information retrieval. Clin Rev Allergy. 1994 Summer;12(2):201–10.
- Neeley DM, Halsted DD, Scott U, Knott T. Library management in an adverse economic environment. Texas Libr J. 1988;64 (3):100–2.
- Associate Dean and Director, VCU Health Sciences Library, Associate Professor, VCU Libraries, Virginia Commonwealth University, 2021-
- Interim Dean, University Librarian, and Associate Professor, VCU Libraries, Virginia Commonwealth University–Richmond, 2020-2021
- Associate Dean and Director, Tompkins–McCaw Library for the Health Sciences, and Associate Professor, VCU Libraries, Virginia Commonwealth University–Richmond, 2009–2020
- Deputy Director, Health Sciences and Human Services Library, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 2004–2009
- Associate Director, Delia Montes-Gallo Library of the Health Sciences, Texas Tech University–El Paso, 1985–2004
- Faculty Associate, School of Medicine, Department of Health Communications, Texas Tech University–El Paso, 1985–2004
- Reference Librarian, Library of the Health Sciences, Texas Tech University–Lubbock, 1984–1985
- Assistant Reference Librarian, Library of the Health Sciences, Texas Tech University–Lubbock, 1983–1984
- Faculty Associate, School of Medicine, Department of Health Communications, Texas Tech University–Lubbock,1983–1985
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association. 2020 MLA Fellows. MLAConnect [Internet]. 27 Aug 2020 [cited 28 Jun 2020].
- Knott T. Presidential address. In: Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 117th annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Seattle, WA, May 26–31, 2017. J Med Libr Assoc. 2018 Jan;106(1):E2–E8. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2018.421.
- Knott T. Inaugural address. In: Mitchell N, ed. Proceedings, 116th annual meeting, Medical Library Association, Toronto, ON, Canada, May 13–18, 2016. J Med Libr Assoc. 2017 Jan;105(1):E12–E20. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.5195/jmla.2017.123. [cited 25 Jun 2020].
- Certificate, medical informatics, Fellow at the Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, sponsored by the National Library of Medicine, 2003
- Master of public administration (MPA), University of Texas–El Paso, 1990
- Master of library science (MLS), University of Oklahoma–Norman, 1982
- Bachelor of university studies (BUS), concentrated in political science and history, University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 1980