MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Ad Hoc Committee to Review Core Clinical Journals, cochair, 2015–
- Journal of the Medical Library Association, associate editor, 1996–2018
- MLA Liaison to American Nursing Credentialing Center, Magnet Conference, 2011–2015
- Information Specialist in Context, MLA Task Force, 2002–2004
- Medical Informatics Section, Nominating & Program Committees, 1994
- MLA News, Editorial Committee, chair, 1977
- Midwest Chapter, president, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP), Distinguished Member
- Hospital Library Section, Scroll of Exemplary Service, 2002
- Excellence and Achievement in Hospital Librarianship/Hospital Librarian of Year, 1996
- Ida and George Eliot Prize, 1996
- Hospital Libraries Section, Recognition Award for Publication, 1994
- Hospital Libraries Section, Recognition Award for Technological Innovation, 1993
- Dean’s List, School of Nursing, University of Pittsburgh, 2010, 2008
- Invited into Golden Key International Honour Society, 2006
- National Library of Medicine Board of Regents—Extramural Programs, 1999
- Fellowship to Medical Informatics course, Marine Biological Laboratory, 1993
Other Accomplishments and Activities (selected)
- Technical Review Group, NN/LM Request for Proposals, National Library of Medicine, 2000
- National Library of Medicine Board of Regents, 1997–2000
- NLM grant reviewer, 1995 and 2000
- End of Life Nursing Education Consortium (ELNEC) core trainer
- Licensed registered nurse (RN)
Publications (5 representative)
- San-Juan-Rodriguez A, Newman TV, Hernandez I, Swart ECS, Klein-Fedyshin M, Shrank WH, Parekh N. Impact of community pharmacist-provided preventive services on clinical, utilization, and economic outcomes: an umbrella review. Prev Med. 2018 Oct;115:145–155.
- Klein-Fedyshin M, Ketchum AM, Arnold RM, Fedyshin PJ. Evaluating the MEDLINE Core Clinical Journals filter: data-driven evidence assessing clinical utility. J Eval Clin Pract. 2014 Dec; 20(6):837–43.
- Klein-Fedyshin M, Burda ML, Epstein BA, Lawrence B. Collaborating to enhance patient education and recovery. J Med Libr Assoc. 2005 Oct; 93(4):440–445. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1250319/.
- Klein MS, Ross FV, Adam DL. Effect of on-line literature searching on length of stay and patient care costs. Acad Med. 1994 Jun;69(6):489–95.
- Klein MS. Adapting IAIMS to a hospital library level. B Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Oct;77:357–365. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC227488/.
- University of Pittsburgh Health Sciences Library System
- SLIS, instructor for health care, 2010–2014
- Research & clinical instruction librarian, 2009–
- Manager of library services, UPMC Shadyside, 2000–2008
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
- Family hospice staff nurse, 2011–2012
- Detroit Medical Center, Library Services, system director, 1997–1999
- Children's Hospital of Michigan, Detroit, manager of library services, 1978–1997
- Texas Medical Association, Austin, reference librarian, 1978
- National Health Insurance Company, Austin, Texas, program policy specialist, 1977–1978
- Children's Hospital Research Foundation Library, Cincinnati, Ohio, director, 1973–1976
MLA published statements about the fellow
- 2019 MLA Fellows. MLANET [Internet]. 30 May 2019. https://www.mlanet.org/p/bl/ar/blogaid=2545.
- Pionke JJ, Aaronson E. 119th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Chicago, IL May 3–8, 2019. J Med Libr Assoc. 2020 Jan;108(1):E1-E17. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6920001/.
- BSN, University of Pittsburgh, 2009
- MSLS, Case Western Reserve University, 1973
- BA, University of Pittsburgh, 1972, magna cum laude
Contributed by Jean P. Shipman