The Northern Illinois University Libraries seeks applications from creative and dynamic individuals for the position of Health Sciences and Science Librarian. This is a 12-month tenure-track Faculty position with appointment at the rank of Assistant Professor or higher, depending on experience. This position reports to the Head of Reference & Research.
The Health Sciences / Science Librarian serves as the liaison and is responsible for collections, instruction, outreach, and research consultation in selected schools within the College of Health and Humans Sciences, and for departments within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the College of Engineering as needed. NIU is especially interested in candidates that can contribute to the experiences of underrepresented populations.
Serves as the primary liaison for the Schools of Allied Health & Communicative Disorders, Health Studies, Interdisciplinary Health Professions, and Nursing; connects faculty and students with information and resources to support all aspects of the research lifecycle and builds professional relationships that facilitate research and student success.
Individually and collaboratively designs and delivers services, instruction, and programming to support education and research in the College of Health and Health Sciences, select departments within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the College of Engineering as needed.
Provides general reference services (in-person and virtual) including some nights and weekends, as well as in-depth research consultations in liaison areas.
Works collaboratively across the Libraries to support innovative initiatives including open access, research impact analysis, open educational resources, data management services, and data visualization.
Provide support and search assistance for evidence-based literature reviews, including systematic reviews.
Assists faculty with the creation and evaluation of data management plans, analysis of research impact, and development of grant proposals.
Engages in professional development such as attending conferences, workshops, and webinars related to job functions
Instruction & Outreach
Teaches course-related library instruction sessions both in person and online; designs and develops instructional materials and assessments for classes.
Creates and maintains library subject and course research guides (LibGuides) and other instructional tools (tutorials, online learning modules, etc.) to help students, faculty, and staff effectively use library resources.
Participates in instructional, outreach, and information literacy initiatives
Builds and manages library collections to support curriculum and research for liaison departments, including updating collection policies, selecting print and electronic materials, and weeding.
Works with liaison teams to determine shared collection purchases and priorities.
Research, Scholarship, and Service Activities
Develops a focused program of high-quality research and creative accomplishments, consistent with professional responsibilities and the Libraries’ mission and goals.
Actively participates and demonstrates leadership in professional responsibilities that serve the Libraries, University, profession, and community.
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program
- An additional graduate degree (Master’s or higher)
- Demonstrated ability to consult with and advise researchers about core health science and nursing resources (CINAHL, MEDLINE, etc.).
- Familiarity with evidence-based practice (EBP) and health sciences research methodologies.
Additional Required Qualifications
- Strong commitment to Public Services and outstanding customer service.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to meet university standards for research, publication, and professional service.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect in the workplace.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree, or other background, in a health or life science.
- Experience conducting or supporting health sciences or nursing research.
- Teaching experience, which may include designing online resources, consulting with individual researchers or project teams, and planning in-person or virtual workshops or class sessions.
- Demonstrated ability to carry out a liaison program through outreach, building relationships, and providing library services and support to diverse stakeholders.
- Experience conducting systematic reviews, meta-analyses, or related research projects.
- Current or expressed desire to pursue Academy of Health Information Professionals (AHIP) certification.
- Evidence of professional and/or scholarly activity.
Salary information: $67,500 minimum
Link to apply: https://employment.niu.edu/postings/63178
Applications received by June 19, 2022 will be given first consideration. Anticipated start date is August 1, 2022. Applicants must apply online at https://employment.niu.edu/postings/63178 and upload the following materials:
- Letter of application which includes discussion of your qualifications as they relate to equity, diversity, and historically marginalized and underrepresented groups
- Current curriculum vitae
- List of three current references with contact information
- Transcripts (unofficial with official required at hire)
EEO Statement: In accordance with applicable statutes and regulations, NIU is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, religion, age, physical and mental disability, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, political affiliation, or any other factor unrelated to professional qualifications, and will comply with all applicable federal and state statutes, regulations and orders pertaining to nondiscrimination, equal opportunity and affirmative action.
The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies:
Ethics and Compliance Officer, Title IX Coordinator
Health Services 230